Lowrance

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Except in Baja. No Baja maps. It's true that racers do use Lowrance units, but they load up course routes furnished by SCORE, no detail other than a line to follow. Their topo is 100K (same as Garmin), 24K would be nice.
Garmin offers a lot more mapping software than any other manufacturer. Unfortunately all mapping software they make is not compatible with all GPS units they make, so be sure to check compatibility of software before buying.
I like to use Garmin's Topo mapping which does not work with any of their bigger street units. The unit it does work with that is closest to what I want is the 276C (which I will probably buy). It would be nice to be able to use it on something in the 5" diagonal display range. I currently use an Etrex Vista, too small for dashboard use.
BX

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I've been using a rhino series GPS mounted to the dash with a ram mount. Other then the fact I have to stop to study the map I like the garmin. I don't see any trips to baja in the next few years so that will be a non issue to me

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok so today after buttoning up the odds and ends of the electrical stuff and dismantling my axles for the locker and gear install, I got to play with the lowrance. One word...**************!!!.

So besides having crazy map detail, it tells you what service places are at each higway exit. repair shops, parts places, hotels, camp grounds, restaurants etc. Now for you electronic gizmo guru;s this is old hat but I'm coming up from basic maps and a no map capable hand held GPS. It's freaking amazing. Now it doesn't do the audible Turn by turn stuff but the unit is awesome.

This may be the best mod I do to the truck and in the past few weeks we have done a ton.

f9490604.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger