LT230 Question

AboveNBeyond

Hello all,

So I recently installed a 2" lift and larger tires, now I would like to correct the gear ratio. However I am also thinking about installing/swapping in a LT230...

Here is my question, before thinking about changing the gears in the diffs I thought I read someplace the LT230 could lower the final gear ratio too?

Is this true, does the LT230 lower the ratio more then the Borg Warner?

mongosd2

Adventurer
Hello all,

So I recently installed a 2" lift and larger tires, now I would like to correct the gear ratio. However I am also thinking about installing/swapping in a LT230...

Here is my question, before thinking about changing the gears in the diffs I thought I read someplace the LT230 could lower the final gear ratio too?

Is this true, does the LT230 lower the ratio more then the Borg Warner?

Tom is correct with the high gear in the borg is being 1.2, most NAS LT230's also have a 1.2 hi-gear, so to answer your question, no. If you want to swap in a Lt230, here's some base info:

With a LT230SE (late 1999 and on, basically with the delivery of the D2) you'll need to change out the input gear to install a higher gear. With a LT230T (thru 1999 D1), it will drop in without a input gear change. A 1.4 hi gear, with 33" tires, gives back what you lose in power with out a diff gear change. I would say that with tires 32" and less, drop 4.11 in the diffs, the 1.4 will be to high

Gear options are:
1.2 stock
1.4 in some Defenders

another source for the Ashcroft stuff is Todd at Toddcosuspensions.com...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
FWIW I run 32's on my Disco with the stock transfer case, and aside from being sluggish on hills (partly due to the totally ragged out 3.9) it's not bad. And off-road in low range it's fine. Of course, depending on what you want want to use if for it may not work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman