Luggage for a sports bike tour

JamesReddish

Hi All,

I'm looking to ride to the Isle of Man TT next year from England

This would be my first time going more than a day ride on a motorbike. Infact I don't believe I've ever done more than 150/200 miles in a day (and that was hard!).

Total trip would be around ~250 miles each way (could be over 2 days?) Plus any riding at the TT.

I think I would probably just use my textile sports gear as this is waterproof and easier off the bike than my 1 piece suit. (Unless I happen to get 2 piece leathers beforehand, and subject to weather)

Most importantly I will need some luggage - I'm guessing a tank bag and a tail bag. A small rucksack could be an option if absolutely necessary? I guess this would total around the same litreage as I get on my pushbike with panniers etc.

Obviously this bike is not the most normal touring rig and I'm very limited to weight on the back of the bike due to the short alloy subframe - 20kg max between a ruck sack and tail bag.

Does anyone have any advice on
-how to carry/attach luggage
-What luggage to look at
-ways to attach dry bags ( I have quite a few of these in different sizes I could use)
-any other tips for doing such a trip

The bike - 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R
20210802_193215.jpg20210622_191611.jpgIMG-20200723-WA0022.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I run soft kappa panniers and a soft Nelson-Rigg tailbag on my bike. They are both expandable and both came with wet weather protection. They attached to the bike with straps & buckles. I purchased extension plates so they would clear the exhaust. Not sure if something like that exists for your bike?

Saddle guard 2.jpg
saddle guard 4.jpg
kappa1.jpg
Kappa 3.jpg

I think a lot of people just strap / bungee luggage onto their bikes.

Sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy and take lots of pics!

JamesReddish

I run soft kappa panniers and a soft Nelson-Rigg tailbag on my bike. They are both expandable and both came with wet weather protection. They attached to the bike with straps & buckles. I purchased extension plates so they would clear the exhaust. Not sure if something like that exists for your bike?

View attachment 793303
View attachment 793304
View attachment 793305
View attachment 793306

I think a lot of people just strap / bungee luggage onto their bikes.

Sounds like a fun trip! Enjoy and take lots of pics!

Unfortunately nothing like that exists for mine, it won't even take a pillion!

There will certainly be plenty of pictures.

Thanks!

Rok Straps will be good for a 30 liter duffle bag on the back. Maybe some heat protection needed for your muffler if rubbing. Add a tank bag or a backpack and be good. No bungees on a bike ever, as they will take your eyeball out; don't ask me how I know...

Maybe I am over thinking this. I'll look at how to attach some bags that I already have and report back.

Thanks for that link too!

JamesReddish

Well maybe I was indeed over thinking it. A small duffle on the back and a rucksack on the tank.

Obviously these would require some straps and maybe some anti slip matting underneath.

I do have some old rucksacks I wouldn't mind cutting up for the tank, so that could be an option.

I'll update as I have more of a think.20230826_133307.jpg20230826_133313.jpg20230826_133316.jpg

Willsfree

Looks like a good start.
Check out Advrider for lots of solutions.
Don't forget the Action Packer...

1693076971112.png

Wallygator

Adventurer

JamesReddish

Looks like a good start.

View attachment 793477

Fantastic thank you very much!

JamesReddish

Some over the seat panniers may work. I just bought some from Enduristan an they have works well, but this is on a Tenere 700. Maybe these would work better for a sport bike?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sedici-20l-dry-bag-saddlebags?sku_id=10041603

or these...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dryspec-d20-drybag-saddle-bags?sku_id=962951

another...expensive but a good product

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giant-loop-coyote-saddlebag-roll-top-2023?sku_id=10352589

Very expensive, but I'll have a deeper look into them.

Worth every penny if I get to ride this bike more as a result!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looks like a good start.

View attachment 793477
Good call. That is a great site.

Hnoroian

Observer
My favorites were always cortech , soft shell but ridged and expandable. Including the tail bag which attached to the saddle bags. Never let me down.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
What do you need to take?

Racing gear, clothes, tools, parts, camping gear, food, etc.....?

500 miles round trip over how many days? isn't a long distance so you could actually get by with a backpack and being very selective about what you take.

BTW, sounds like an awesome experience! be safe.

N.Penley

I love the RSV Apes. They sound and look fantastic.

Get a large magnetic tank bag that has the clear pocket on top for your phone or maps and take a good backpack. You can lean on a tank bag and rest your wrists. Magnetic is quick to remove and replace for refueling, running into a restaurant to wait out the rain, or parking in areas with high crime.
I recommend a cheap nylon hammock with a mosquito net and rain fly if you want to camp. They are comfortable and can also be used as a seat, bike cover, etc. and can be found for under $50 US. All you need is a couple trees or posts.

Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renottse

Sweet ride and excellent destination.

Totally agree with tank bag / backpack suggestion for short trip.

If you go the backpack route I recommend trying on a Kriega.

All day comfortable. I have mine adjusted so the bag rests on the tail section ( yep, put some clear tape to protect the tail), so you don’t carry the weight.

I’ve broken both clavicle’s so normal bags fall off, theirs locks in front and the shoulder straps are padded and an ergonomic design.

Had it on every day for a 12 day trip, longest day with it on was 13 hours, no complaints.

Have a blast and ride it like ya stole it… the stories are all ways better that way.

renottse

Oh and completely forgot, so had to trawl my brain, IF you’re going to do more trips and want to invest some money on a rack and bag set up… Ventura.

https://ventura-mca.com/collections/aprilia

Best bet would be with rear cowl off and run the bag towards you to keep the weight forward and no cantilever on the rack.

I ran their set up on a CBR 900 RR for 60,000 Km back in the day.

Not mine but it shows what I did

IMG_7159.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online