M100 Trailer Build, Winter 2014/2015.

MN_GEO

Hello All,
Apparently this was posted in under the for sale section. Hope this is in the right spot now, I hope someone will confirm I've got it corrected.

I'm new to trailer builds. While have the basic electro/mechanical skillset, I don't have all the tools or time, so much of this build will be a mix and match of self performing and other service providers. I Recently acquired a "new" M100 1/4-ton trailer. Planning to convert it, tranformer/swiss army style, into a general utility/camp/canoe trailer. I'm looking to keep all features connected and compact. I want to carry only one spare so I need to change the trailers wheels and tires out. I am replacing the axle and hubs. For whatever reason I kind of want to keep the hand brake, so i'll be getting surge brakes with hand-lever actuated parking brake.

In addition to figuring out specific issues for the build I'm curious to hear ideas for options and improvements (e.g. it's a 1/4-ton do I really need surge brakes? I don't think so.)

Current plan is to:
-match 2013 JK wheels (to carry only one spare)
-extendable tongue to convert from light (rough, but not rock crawling) off-road to canoe hauling.
-the coupler will be one of those multi-axis deals
-rear receiver hitch for bicycles or additional cargo cage.
-two tier pivoting/folding canoe storage
-water/fuel cans
-Paint it Jeep black

Wishful adds might include:
-gimbaled-LED light tower(s) (easy one)
-solar powered USB charging bank (another easy one)
-Swing-out/fold-out kitchen (getting more difficult)
-front and rear gates for hauling longer items (future mod, further complicating things)
-I'd love to create a 6 person trailer top tent set up and still be able to have the canoe racks, so engineering a transformer-like system will be entertaining (especially since I'm not an engineer)

...and yes I want to do it all and maintain the rough and ready look of a military utility trailer

This seems like a very tall order, but as they say, "there are no problems, only solutions to be developed"...Any thoughts?

2strokeTRush

Sounds like a good plan, Only thing that sounds very challenging is that canoe rack with a RTT involved, get some pics up. I am working on a 100 myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan