M1009 CUCV In The Rockies?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Anyone have experience running a stock M1009 CUCV (6.2L N.A. with 3.08 gears) in the mountains?

Specifically, can it get out of its own way on the long, paved climbs?

Regards

Jim

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
I was about to come in here and question the gear ratio you posted but I looked it up and you are right. So I'm posting for clarity and knowledge of others. The CUCV pickups had the 4.56 gear, the Blazers had the 3.08.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I was about to come in here and question the gear ratio you posted but I looked it up and you are right. So I'm posting for clarity and knowledge of others. The CUCV pickups had the 4.56 gear, the Blazers had the 3.08.

That is correct.

Here in the flatlands the M1009 Blazer does great, but I will be relocating to Colorado.

I recently drove the M1009 to Missouri to eyeball an FJ60 which was for sale. Bought the FJ60 (which was in excellent shape). I noticed that the M1009 Blazer did not know the Ozark Mtn hills were there, but the FJ60 definitely did notice.

I can't keep them both. If the M1009 will do OK in the CO mountains, I might be better off selling it in CO than around here. Reportedly, surplus vehicles are scarcer in CO because of titling hassles, but I do not know that to be a fact.

Regards

Jim

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
I know that a M1009 would do much better than my M1028, but I can't say that means much. I am fairly loaded and I pull the passes around 35 mph. I live at 8k' and usually travel upwards from there. Mine is a dog, but it works for me (most of the time). I notice an incredible difference in power when I make the rare trip to the front range. You could always turbo it if you have that coin, but if it was me and I had a clean FJ60, I'd dump the M1009 in a heartbeat.

Where are you looking to move?

Also, I had no problem titling the M1028 or the deuce where I live.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I know that a M1009 would do much better than my M1028, but I can't say that means much. I am fairly loaded and I pull the passes around 35 mph. I live at 8k' and usually travel upwards from there. Mine is a dog, but it works for me (most of the time). I notice an incredible difference in power when I make the rare trip to the front range. You could always turbo it if you have that coin, but if it was me and I had a clean FJ60, I'd dump the M1009 in a heartbeat.

Where are you looking to move?

Also, I had no problem titling the M1028 or the deuce where I live.

I heard (without confirmation) that CO made it difficult to title a surplus military vehicle with the SF-97 in lieu of a title.

I'm sure the FJ60 would be better for running trails in the mountains - it seems quite a bit narrower than the Blazer and it has enough room to sleep in the back.

I was surprised at how much better the M1009 pulled the hills in MO than the 60. I have not had the FJ40 out on the highway for a long time and forgot about the performance.

The plan is to relocate to Canon City in 2 yrs or so. I'll spend as much time as possible in the high country.

Where are you located?

Regards

Jim

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
You will need a title first, which I assume you have. Once you have one from out of state, then it's simple. For the deuce, I paid someone in another state to title it there, then I transferred it when it got here. The CUCV was bought from a private party and had a title. We don't have inspections or emissions up here either.

I live in Eagle County in the middle of the state in a tiny tiny town. For the majority of your driving, you'll be fine in either. Canon City is low and flat. Both those vehicles are going to lug it up the hill. At least the FJ 60 has a stick, and is much more reliable. MPG's are probably the same.

bfdiesel

Explorer
not a military 6.2 but I have a 6.2 burb and it does okey, When I had 245/75's on my 4.10 axles it did a lot better than now with they 285/70 r17's. There are times it will not get out of its own way, usually steep and high (10k feet)though.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
When you buy military surplus vehicles direct from the govt you get an SF-97 form not a title. What you describe is what I'd heard about - CO will not accept the SF-97.

My M1009 is titled so no problem.

I duuno about the mileage comparison...in the summer the M1009 gets 18 - 20 mpg, but drops to 15 - 16 mpg in the winter. The 3.08 gearing makes that possible.

The FJ60 is getting 12 - 13 MPG.

I have not been in your part of CO for years. We've been spending all of our time in the southern half. Canon is a good place to base out of and my brother is closeby near Westcliffe.

Regards

Jim

NMC_EXP

Explorer
not a military 6.2 but I have a 6.2 burb and it does okey, When I had 245/75's on my 4.10 axles it did a lot better than now with they 285/70 r17's. There are times it will not get out of its own way, usually steep and high (10k feet)though.

Thank you sir. This CUCV has 3.08 gears - does fine here in the flatlands.

Regards

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior