M101A3 Tongue extension

Hey everyone,

I have recently purchased an m101a3 to use as a utility and camping trailer. I thought I would share some of pictures and info from the removal of the surge brakes and fabrication of the adjustable tongue.

So far I have unbolted the surge brake and lunette assembly and replace it with a 24" piece of 2.5" box tubing that I braced with various pieces of shop scrap... The new lunette ring will bolt to the piece of 2" box tubing that has been drilled to extend 16"

Let me know what you think... Or if I should consider changing anything with this design. Thanks, more pics to follow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 26
Here are some others pics of the trailer... Rtt rack made of 1.5" .120 wall Dom. Definitely overkill for the tent but it could be used for something else down the line. Also, I mounted 3 of the harbor freight jacks with assist with leveling and stability while in the tent

I tried three times uploading these and still upside down... MODs please help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 27

RagnarD

Adventurer
Looks good. May not be needed but my only suggestion is to add a collar to the end of the 2.5" square tubing.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I cut the tubing close and that pretty much seals it up. Don't think leaving it open will hurt anything.

Cool. Thanks for the reply, I enjoyed reading your trailer build. I'm having a blast putting mine together, next for me is wheel bearings. I want to at least pull the hubs and repack

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the ability to extend the tongue some.
I welded the adjustable channel to the nose assembly on my M101A2
As for removing the surge assembly I did because mine was damaged and did not work.
I also pulled the backing plates, drums and shoe assembly from mine.
It dropped around 80 pounds of weight off the axle as with removing the surge lunette.

Attachments

• DSC05006.JPG
    DSC05006.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC04857.JPG
    DSC04857.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC04866.JPG
    DSC04866.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads