M226 Vent Mod?

Pappa John

Observer
OK, since I got the new axle I was going to do the vent mod, but my axle does not have a vent! I know, I thought I was looking in the wrong location too. I thought since the vent wasn't in the same location as on the old vent maybe it was on a different location on the housing. NOPE. I looked all over, and the location where the vent should be is a square knob sticking up off of the housing. Does the new axles not have vents, or did the stealership screw up again?

Any input would be awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Creek had this same problem.

NEW axles do not have a vent and must be drilled/tapped for the breather. Take it back to the dealer and have them drill/tap/install breather and then have them put it on paper in case you blow your seals again. (That's what happened the last time, right?)

Creek

Adventurer
woah, woah, woah...slow your roll. you don't need to tap anything. simply unscrew that square thingy (with pliers or whatever), and that's your vent hole. It's already tapped to accept a standard Nissan axle tube vent. Wow, glad I saw this thread...

Pappa John

Observer
Awesome, I'm glad you saw this thread too. I was going to go down tomorrow and chew some ***, but now I don't have to. Thank you very much.

I love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
When did they start that? My 07OR has the vent, though it took me awhile to find it.

Still haven't done the breather mod, though. Need to get on that.

woah, woah, woah...slow your roll. you don't need to tap anything. simply unscrew that square thingy (with pliers or whatever), and that's your vent hole. It's already tapped to accept a standard Nissan axle tube vent. Wow, glad I saw this thread...

Me too, my bad. :(

Ah well, worst case would have been he had gone to nissan and they would have pulled the plug and stuck in a breather.

Creek

Adventurer
When did they start that? My 07OR has the vent, though it took me awhile to find it.

Still haven't done the breather mod, though. Need to get on that.

it's just when you get a new axle from Nissan. They don't ship it with the vent installed. I'm guessing it's so it doesn't break off during shipping.

Pappa John

Observer
I just went to the dealership and they had no idea, so they actually got on the forum and saw the conversations and realized I was right and put the breather on right then and there.

Again this place is GREAT!!!!!!! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online