M416 build dillemma..Tires

flashooter

Observer
Hey guys looking for some opinions from Expo...I picked up an M416 to do a little camping/touring trailer build. Plans are the usual...lid, RTT and other little goodies. The original plan was to pull it with my wrangler and set it up with matching jeep wheels. After I got the trailer I also got a 3rd gen 4runner. Now I love my jeep, but the 4runner is a lot better suited to travelling. I am trying to decide what wheels to run on it. I will still use it with the wrangler and most "off-road" adventures will probably be with it, but I also plan on using the 4runner for more distance trips. SHould I stick with jeep wheels, go yota wheels (which truthfully I havent really looked if possible) or just stay with the military tire setup (which would need to be replaced anyway since they are dryrotted). I plan on carrying on-board air and plugs either way for tire repair...just no spare in the event of a total failure.

loki646

Observer
You could pick one or the other and then invest in a set of wheel adapters to accommodate the other set....Just a thought!

kai38

Explorer
I have had my M416 for 10yrs, running original military rims with radial tires.
I also mounted a spare to the trailer. I have never had to use the spare. I also carry plugs & compressor I wouldn't worry about having matching rims & tires on the trailer. You also carry a repair kit & a spare on your tow vehicle.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Plugs, a tube, and one of those sewing awls with good thread would be what I would carry. Put the tube in one of the anti-ESD electronics mylar bags and seal it with a "Seal-A-Meal" machine. That will keep ozone etc. from destroying the tube. The awl etc will allow you to sew a blow sidewall together enough for the tube to limp you out of where-ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman