M416 cover/lid

46flattie

Observer
Has anybody ever come across a pick-up truck tonneau cover application that is the same size (or close) as our M416's? For my application I have no plans of mounting a RTT, but would like the option to lock up whatever cover I may put on. I thought a tri-fold hard tonneau cover might be a nice option for accessiblity, lockability and looks.

I am currently trying to look at all of my options:

Fab a "hard" lid
Tarp w/a snitch cable vs. rope or bungees, however not very secure.
Tonneau
Etc.

Thanks for any help!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I've seen the canvas covers on ebay regularly.. I'll be posting up later today about fabbing a cover with pics as I did it last night. Heavy, a little labor intensive, but nice at the same time...

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I just had a cover made for my M-416 made out of 18oz vinyl. I had them put button snaps and a metal rod on one side so it can roll easy. It was cheap and it turned out really nice. I will try to post some pics later.

46flattie

Observer
Thanks for the responses. I thought about having a canvas shop make a cover up also. I'm sure it would be pretty reasonable. Good idea on the rod sewn in for rolling it up!

If I see a Ford Ranger, or any other small truck, I'll try to start taking measurements to see if any are close....it might be good info.

As far as my build goes:

So far I have lengthened the tongue using the original lunette and 3x2 3/16 wall tube. (To allow for clearance of my swing away tire carrier.)

Other plans:
- install front and rear receivers for a canoe rack and or bike rack
- some type on jerry can mount for (2) 5 gallon cans (one H2O and one fuel)
- back-up lighting
- possibly electric brakes
- adjust ride height to match my Scrambler
- sandblast and paint

Thanks again! I enjoy following all of your builds.

46flattie

Observer
Hey guys here's a little update on my project:

New longer 2x3x3/16 tongue utilizing original lunette
Sand blasted and powder coated the frame and box
Canvas lid
Spring over
Rack on front for 2 - 5 gallon cans (1 water and 1 fuel) w/receiver
Rear receiver
Canoe rack for receivers

What do you think about the canoe rack? The height is designed to allow the canoe to hang over my spare and to allow me to not bump my head. The canoe is a 17', a 15' would center up much better, but the 17' tows fine w/an empty trailer (still have enough tongue weight.) I would expect it tow better yet once the trailer is loaded. Still looks a little funny though!

Attachments

• DSC00821.JPG
    DSC00821.JPG
    797.3 KB · Views: 163

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Yeah, it looks a little funny, but I can't think of any better way to do it. The only problem I see is that it looks like the canoe may come in contact with the jeeps spare tire on off camber situations. Is there a way that you could take about a foot off of the rear canoe brace to angle the canoe up towards the Jeep?

-

46flattie

Observer
Yeah, it looks a little funny, but I can't think of any better way to do it. The only problem I see is that it looks like the canoe may come in contact with the jeeps spare tire on off camber situations. Is there a way that you could take about a foot off of the rear canoe brace to angle the canoe up towards the Jeep?

-

Yep, thought about that too. The edge of the canoe is actually somewhat on the same centerline as the pintle hitch (vertically) when level. Therefore, my theory is when the trailer pivots up (like going thru a ditch), its distance from the hitch does not change, it (canoe)follows an arc....it will however move forward on that arc and could contact the CB antenna or even the soft top. Haven't really tested the theory yet and haven't had time to draw it up in CAD! Thanks for your comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12