M416 simple build

This is my first build. After looking and searching for a trailer. I found this on eBay within a 6hr drive. This is what it looked like after I got it home. I had rented another trailer because I was not sure of it's ability to be pulled.

I had took it completely apart and sent the pieces out for sandblasting. Total cost so far was 600 trailer and 300 for the sandblasting. My project sat until late summer. I opted for a axle less suspension at a cost of about 700. Urethane primer on everything and I added POR to the frame.

I added about 18" to the tongue length. Removed the Pintle hitch and added the Kilby off road hitch. I purchased the 2" receiver stock(not sure what I paid). Welded some angles pieces in to accommodate bolts for the frame. Drilled and bolted everything together with grade 8 hardware.

At this time I am thinking about my tent choices. Also considering what to do with the tub floor. After the sandblasting I had pin holes and there were dents on the bottom.

I opted to leave the floor in and keep costs down. With that in mind I welded the pin holes on the bottom. I also welded the bolt holes on the sides from the previous owner. I wanted to be able to cross water without leaks.

I decided on the Oztrail tent from Kakadu tents. I thought about a roof top. However, I have a large chocolate lab that will travel with my wife and I. And I don't want to carry him up the ladder into a roof top. The design of the tent allows me to lift him up and provides a larger sheltered space for the other stuff...
I welded 2x2 angle iron around the tub in order to provide a flat resting spot, weather seal for the tent.

By this time I had bedlined the tub with POR Berliner.

I completed the tub and painted the outside. Attached a HF tongue box, marker lights (led), military LED taillights, two rear pipe mount stabilizer jacks, and a font pipe mount stabilizer jack with a wheel.

My tent was delivered about a month before the tub was finished.

Tent mounting was relatively straight forward. I decided to mount the opening toward the passenger side, because most campgrounds up here are designed around campers. When checking out the campgrounds, the electric and water supply access are located on the drivers side of the pad. The fire rings and tables are on the passenger side when backing a trailer in.

Here is the tent mounted.

I have camped once with it. I am able to spin the camper around on the asphalt pad in order to open the tent to any side or at the back without the wheels being off the asphalt pad. (campground rules).

As much as I would like to use this as it was meant, I will probably use it more in the State parks. There is just not as much open space here in Ohio.

Last edited:

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
That's great work! What size/model of tent? Been looking at those, but hadn't figured out which would fit best on the M416.

Kosmo

Adventurer
Nice job on the construction. Good decision not to use the original suspension.

Are you using the same size tires and bolt pattern rims on trailer as Jeep?

Nice, are planning to test it anytime soon? there is an event going whole weekend near by https://www.facebook.com/events/124288201257048/ i'm going there for at least one night
I have been there before. It's a great place and a close drive for me. I need to order new plugs for the drains on the floor. And I would like to add a short rail to protect the sides of the tent when off roading. I think the true off road test will be next spring.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Nice job on the construction. Good decision not to use the original suspension.

Are you using the same size tires and bolt pattern rims on trailer as Jeep?
Thanks. I used the old bfg tires off my jeep. Rims do not match. However, I have on board air and plugs. I'm still thinking about options for a spare. At the very least I have room on the roof rack of jeep for spare. JK rims are not trailer friendly from the research I've done. And I did not want to push the tire out further with adapters.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Here are some pics of the inside. We did not put the floor down on the spare room.
Here is the shot of sleeping area

Here is a pic from the add on room into the main tent area. With just the basic tent, this area is under the awning. It was extra for the walls and floor. Wanted to make sure we had the extra room when we wanted it and it is a nice area to store things out of sight.

The entire outside.

As you can see, we turned the trailer around on the pad to position it to the best spot. It does not seem like the Ohio State Park campgrounds are use to this type of tent trailer. Biggest issue is trying to find a site that is level just off the pad. Typically, the pad has about a couple inches in height above the ground due to use.

Last edited:
This thread I think needs a picture of the Chocolate Lab. On my ground tent, mine figured out how to work the zipper to let himself out in the middle of the night. Not really a good thing. Very good build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger