M416 trailer tire thoughts.. Goodyear wrangler ST?

OppugnAll

Was looking to continue reusing my factory M416 rim. I have thought about using the military tires, again but have seen too many issues with long trips at highway speeds. And since I live in the Midwest a lot of my eventual destinations are long highway trip away.

So.. Going to use factory rim and one of the recommended sizes seems to be the 225/75R16. I have found Goodyear wrangler ST for $75 apiece with $20 in shipping, so thinking $200 for 2 new tires mounted. Anyone have experience with these tires especially with a trailer, can I got wrong? Hate to buy them, and not like them, as I assume they will last me awhile on a trailer with its low usage.

goodyear-wrangler-st-group-large.png

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I'm going with a 215/85/16. I am getting some E rated Cooper AT3's. A bit more costly though. I wanted something close to the original tires diameter.
The original rims are very narrow and I had to go to a shop that didn't have an issue mounting the tires to them. Discount follows the manufacturers wheel width recommendations.

$75 per tire is a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OppugnAll

Maybe can rephrase question for more input.. How much does trailer tire tread have to do with its capabilities? Would you see quantitative benefits from getting a aggressive mud terrain style tire? Again, mine is going to see a lot of road use, but eventually would like to trailer out west on some trips..

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I personally don't think an aggressive tread will benefit you, just cost you money in the long run. The trailer really isn't the one applying power to the Ground so it's not able to help. Go with an all season that gets decent mileage. Air down just as you do with the tow vehicle while off-road to dampen some of have smaller impacts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I've found that in situations like sand, that having a wider tread has given me better floatation. I run 12.5x33x15 on the YJ, and so run the same on the trailer, and have had no issues pulling the trailer through the deep silt as I had in the past with the military tires. Some tires are designed to seek a firmer surface as they dig and move things around, but that can work against you if there isn't anything firmer to be found! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12