M416 trailer with gas tank....

halpeters

I have a classic unmodified M416 trailer....

I just upgraded the gas tank on my Jeep CJ-7 to a 20 gallon tank, and now have a spare stock Jeep 15 gallon tank...

I have been pondering mounting this under the M416 trailer. I could add a small transfer pump and have 15 gallons of extra gas without having to mess with cans...

Has anybody else tried this?

Hal

telwyn

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo! Where in FL are you? There's a few of us on here. I'm over in St. Pete.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I can't say that it is common to see posts around here about doing that, but within my extended circle of friends it has been done several times. One old friend's Toy Hauler came that way from the mfg. It even has one of the typical RV access doors to access the dispensing nozzle.

For me the pump of choice would be the Carter electric pump. Much less noisy and FOD sensitive than the Holley electric pumps.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like ntsqd said it's pretty common on toy haulers and it would be great on an off road trailer.

StaceyE

Observer
I'm doing this same thing on my Jeepster trailer build, figure its easier to haul 15 gallons of fuel in 1 tank then 3 jerry cans.

halpeters

Welcome to ExPo! Where in FL are you? There's a few of us on here. I'm over in St. Pete.

I'm South of Ocala, between Belleview and "The Villages", and not far from the Ocala National Forest. It seems most of the trail stuff here is out west, or international. The western trails look VERY interesting - someday I've got to go try it!!

Somewhere on here I saw your writeup on your Land Rover, and M416 trailer. Very interesting truck!!! don't see many of them on this side of the pond...

If you are into Military vehicles, there is a very good military vehicle rally in Belleview next weekend. Friday evening, they do a trail ride (not sure how many off road trails) with everything from Jeeps to duces, to armored cars...

http://www.flmvpa.org/2010rally.html

It is mostly US stuff, but some German, French, English, other, etc... All are welcome. I'm not a military vehicle collector, but enjoy looking.

Hal

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I was going to do the same thing to my Jeep trailer. i just havn't put the 20 gal poly tank in yet to reuse the 15 gal steel on my trailer. Fuel transfer pumps are the biggest expense. I was looking at them through Northern Hydraulics and TSC. This is the set up I was checking out but your looking at $200.00
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/fuel-handling/fuel-pumps-accessories/gpi-reg-ez-8-fuel-pump-3858004

3858004.jpg

FotoValpen

Adventurer
Great idea! I have an extra 40 liter tank for my truck that would pass on my trailer since the trailer frame is the same as my truck.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I was going to do the same thing to my Jeep trailer. i just havn't put the 20 gal poly tank in yet to reuse the 15 gal steel on my trailer. Fuel transfer pumps are the biggest expense. I was looking at them through Northern Hydraulics and TSC. This is the set up I was checking out but your looking at $200.00
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/fuel-handling/fuel-pumps-accessories/gpi-reg-ez-8-fuel-pump-3858004

3858004.jpg
Why not use a simple external fuel pump? Not very fast but you could always fill up on a meal break or in the evening at camp. That's the plan with my sub tank since I'll be using the internal fuel pump to transfer fuel to the main tank..

halpeters

Why not use a simple external fuel pump? Not very fast but you could always fill up on a meal break or in the evening at camp. That's the plan with my sub tank since I'll be using the internal fuel pump to transfer fuel to the main tank..

That was my thought... I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on this project.

I was also considering using an "outboard motor boat fuel line" connector on the trailer, so I could have a removable fuel hose to either fill the Jeep, or another vehicle. I even considered plumbing the transfer line into a spare gas cap, so I could transfer fuel while on the move, but I don't think that would be necessary.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
My biggest concerns were the hose used to transfer the fuel. I org thought of a ext fuel pump too. I dig the idea of using a old gas cap to plum the quick disco to the Jeep. I used a outboard motor fuel line and bulb to make a good quality fuel siphon. I had to flip the hoses, short to long long to short to get the long end to go into the tank and the exit end on the correct side of the bulb, but it works great.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
One of these is what I was suggesting:
crt-p4070_w.jpg

1.2 GPM is a bit slow, but livable.
Could step up to this for 1.7 GPH, not sure that it's worth the price difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger