Maggiolina

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Not a Chaser but:

attachment.php

attachment.php

datrupr

Expedition Leader
How is it mounted on the factory rack? And is the factory rack strong enough to support it and the occupants?

MontyMagg.jpg

Big Bear

Observer
Well I looked long and hard at all of the RTT before buying mine. I finally decided that it would either be the Magnollia or the Columbus. This was mainly due to thee easy set up. I was lucky enough to be able to see both of these tents in person on other peoples rig's before making my decision and I am glad. Originally I wanted the Magnollia, but after crawling aroud both tents there was no question for me that I prefered the Columbus. Between the two the Columbus was easier and quicker to set up and the biggest selling point was the added head room. I now own a Columbus (large) and couldn't be happier. Still waiting to take it out for the first time as I have only had it for a week. But I am sure my opinion will only be stronger after camping in this amazing tent.:ylsmoke:

RttH

We love our Maggiolina Extreme! I think mpg's are the same or maybe even improved?? We found the mattress a little too firm for us, but thats easily remedied. Go to Mike Spies at autohomeus.com or if you can wait, go to the Expo next April and you can checkout every conceivable RTT!

saburai

Explorer
ordered mine!

Today I ordered a Maggiolina Extreme with the new style changing room and a winter hood :sombrero:
Mike was great to deal with!
I should have it in about ten days, I'll do a review in short order...

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
How is it mounted on the factory rack? And is the factory rack strong enough to support it and the occupants?

MontyMagg.jpg
Aaron,

I don't know. I got the picture from the website of a friend of mine who sells RTT in Switzerland. When I had the WJ Grand Cherokee, I had it mounted with two Yakima bars to the stock roof rails; the Maggiolina was up there for probably 80'000 miles, no problem at all. What's the weight rating of the Montero stock rack? You should not exceed this weight while driving. Static however they can handle more than what's the official rating.

Bugspray

Adventurer
I used to have a Columbus and now I have an ARB Simpson 3. So far the Ol' Columbus wins in....easier set-up/take down, better mattress, moisture management, lower profile when closed. The new tent wins for inside space and lower profile when set-up. The long term verdict is still out.....

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Did some cool weather camping this weekend and the tent worked well. Me, my wife and our little boy up there in 40° weather, and we were warm in a single queen-size Columbia (read: inexpensive but decent) sleeping bag. Being off the ground, and having real foam under really helped.

I bought a cheap 1.5" mattress topper from Walmart and now the mattress is perfect. Even my wife who is 7.5 months pregnant was happy.

Joshua

I'm debating between the Maggiolina Airland and the Overland. I love the Magg's hardshell and easy/crank up, down of the tent, but I think I like the size of the Overland too.

The Overland looks like it would not be as sturdy in the wind? Any experiences with either tents in high wind situations?

How about the small awnings on the Overland in the wind? (not the separate awnings sold)

WASURF63

Adventurer
Med Maggiolina Grand Tour. Great RTT! Well worth the money spent.
Super warm, comfortable mattress, very sturdy in high winds, rain, snow, and adequate ventilation in warm weather, etc...
A huge improvement over ground tent camping.

My only complaint: At 6'1" tall the lift mechanism at each end was in my way.
Wifes only complaint: "Must be what it's like to sleep in a coffin".
Sold it after a couple years and bought a Med Columbus Variant XL.
Quicker setup / takedown. Plenty of room inside. Mattress not as comfortable
and tent not quite as warm as the Maggiolina, but good bags made up the difference. Very little fuel mileage loss (1 mpg) with either RTT.

Re: Mike Spies @ Autohome US; a top notch guy for sure!

WS

4cruzer

Adventurer
Hi, anyone have experience putting cargo up top? This Grand Tour [http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolinaGrandTour.php] says that's a possibility...
And they are claiming that you can mount a kayak up there?
Anyone have experience loading boats/ boards on the roof of the rooftop tent? I don't suppose you can lift the thing with that weight up top?
RTT might be an option for me after all...

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm debating between the Maggiolina Airland and the Overland. I love the Magg's hardshell and easy/crank up, down of the tent, but I think I like the size of the Overland too.

The Overland looks like it would not be as sturdy in the wind? Any experiences with either tents in high wind situations?

How about the small awnings on the Overland in the wind? (not the separate awnings sold)

I have an Overland, but I think both are very solid tents. I've camped with friends who have the Maggiolina.

I've been in some pretty strong winds. I measured 58mph on a recent trip and a trip last year had some winds I would swear were stronger. Now, don't think that the tent is silent or completely still or anything, but it handled it just fine.

The doors/ awnings can eventually work themselves loose from the support poles. I think it's best to zip them shut in winds above 30-35 mph. This is simply an estimate based on some experience. Some here may have more experience with the awnings deployed in stronger winds than me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998