Maintainance Intervals

Rexsname

Explorer
:Wow1: I put new sparkplugs in my 2001 Tacoma yesterday and, while I was looking at my Haynes manual, noticed that the valves "should" be adjusted every 30,000 miles. I know that I was WAY overdue on sparkplugs but I have never adjusted the valves or paid to have them done. I now have 199,XXX miles on this truck. How much damage may I have done by puting this off?

REX

ji603

Observer
Meh...

same here. 120XXX on my tacoma - never even crossed my mind to have valves checked. Oil and tires.... that's all she needs.

dustboy

Explorer
Ya know, if you've already gotten almost 200k without worrying about it, it must not be an issue. Last time I had my truck into the mechanic, I asked him about a valve adjustment as I've never had one in 135k. He said, "we'll have the technician listen to the engine, and if it sounds like it needs an adjustment we'll let you know."

So, does it sound like it needs adjustment? I'm guessing tapping/clicking would be the indicator?

These feelings of guilt, like you are neglecting your Toyota by not spending every weekend repairing and maintaining it, are common and entirely irrational.

Rexsname

Explorer
I kinda thought so................The Toyota service writer told me that the spark plugs should be done every 15,000 miles :Wow1: I changes the plugs at 65,000 and again a couple of weeks ago at 199.000. The plugs were a light dusty grey and only slightly visibly worn.

I've got to change the timing belt and water pump soon and just want this truck to last as long as is possible. Cam seals and tensioner are on the list as well. I'd hate to have it all apart and not do something that might be a good idea to do while its apart.

The transmission has never given me a moments trouble and I've been pretty good about changing out the old,dirty fluid for new stuff. I don't think that there is a changeable trans filter like on some other brands. Any ideas about what kinds of maintainance might be due?

REX

JJackson

Explorer
Rex I have replaced the filter on mine, not sure about it though it was one of those metal ones. I replaced it as I had my pan off to fix a stripped drain plug and to scrape off all the silicone Toyota techs had used when it was leaking. I used a rubber gasket and have had no trouble of leaking.

Terracoma

Adventurer
So, does it sound like it needs adjustment? I'm guessing tapping/clicking would be the indicator?

From searching Yotatech and TTORA, excessively loud valvetrain seems to be an indicator that adjustment may be required.

...The Toyota service writer told me that the spark plugs should be done every 15,000 miles.

That's an extremely conservative service interval for even copper spark plugs, much less the platinum OE plugs... :eek:

IMO, replacing spark plugs inside 30,000 miles is a waste of time and money unless a loss in performance or engine operation necessitate it.

I've got to change the timing belt and water pump soon and just want this truck to last as long as is possible. Cam seals and tensioner are on the list as well. I'd hate to have it all apart and not do something that might be a good idea to do while its apart.

It was also pointed out on Yotatech/TTORA that you should check/adjust the valves if you're already making the effort to yank the timing cover to replace the timing belt and cam shaft seals... The actual adjustment process seems like a royal pain in the posterior and requires one or two special service tools (SSTs), but given that your truck is 200,000 miles young, it may behoove you to at least check the clearance with a feeler gauge to see where you stand.

I disclaimer that I've no personal experience with valve adjustment, but Rex's question prompted me to see what other owners have done about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears