Making a Quick Fist better.

kjp1969

Explorer
i can understand a locating pin, but i would be leery of drilling through the handle. maybe 1/2" at most, but even then i'd try to drill into the metal part of the shovel (of course if you get one of these, you can drill anywhere - http://www.russopower.com/products/king-of-spade-products-all-steel-spade-ks-d/)

Mine is 1/4 diameter, all the way through the handle and the shovel has seen heavy use without any problem. But you'd get the same effect drilling into the handle only 3/8 inch or so and using a shorter pin.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
My shovel hasn't rotated much when on trails or for the two months I've had it cable locked to my truck. Then again if it does, it won't be hitting the body panel and gouging the heck out of it. Good idea.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Nice! I have shovel mounted to the back rack of my ATV. I had to put a piece of rubber hose around the rack on spade side as the shovel would rotate and rub on the rack. Will have to make this mod soon!

Snagger

Explorer
My shovel and pick axe handle are held very firmly without any other method,but the shovel does have the Camel Trophy style bracket around the blade, which prevents the shovel rotating. I don't think it would rotate if held just by two Quickfists, though.

alexrex20

Explorer
if you're going to drill through the handle, you may as well just mount it with that bolt and a wingnut. durr

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I too am leary of drilling holes into the handle of an ax that I would swing wildly into trees with. :elkgrin:

I never had the Quickfists on my shovel give any problems. The secret may be that the ID of the QuickFist should be a good match for the OD of the item being held. The shovel is pretty light weight so that may be a factor. This pix is from when i still had the OEM roof rack
picture0331or9.jpg

I did pick up a Harbor Freight Ax just for some bling on my trailer and I'll look at how well the QuickFists might work for that application and report back to y'all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior