Maximizing alternator output to a lithium battery. Case for an engine bay inverter?

S2DM

Adventurer
Basic set up is a new f550, 180amp alternator, 2X200ah LiFePO4 batteries (either victron or smart battery, still in the info gathering phase).

When I run the calcs, to get the full alternator output to the batteries, I am looking at a massive 0000 cable run, connected via a nato plug. Its also an unregulated output, I.E. it connects directly to the batteries, so I am relying on fords alternator regulation to ensure that the sensitive lithium batteries don't see an over-voltage event (I could put a voltage regulator in line though). A friend with a similar set up recently had an alternator control fail, was seeing 15-17 volts briefly, and it did the fry job to a few of his 12 volt circuits and damaged the battery.

Would it be a consideration to add a mid priced 2000 watt inverter (12v x 180 amp should yield a max of 2160 watts) in the engine bay, and then bring a much smaller cabled 110v supply back to the inverter (victron multiplus).

The advantages I could see would be the input would be treated like shore power, and regulated by the Victron, which does a great job of handling, regulating and boosting as needed, shore power inputs.

The disadvantages I could see right off would be the efficiency lost in the inverter. But I would also lose some efficiency unless I am running massive cables back to the batteries. Cost is also a potential disadvantage, but 0000 cable is rather expensive, so a $500 inverter might not be $500 if you subtracted the cable size difference.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
it'll work, but i'd be concerned about what happens in an accident.. live AC voltage could cause issues for you / your rescuers. Maybe some sort of G sensor disconnect would be in order?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online