Mazda CX-5 small SUV

haven

Expedition Leader
Mazda introduced the all-new CX-5 in calendar 2012 as a 2013 model. It's a small SUV that competes against the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape and Subaru Forester, to name only a few of the entries in this highly competitive class.

Car and Driver Magazine put the CX-5 in first place in a recent comparison test. See
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83968-Car-amp-Driver-cute-ute-test

Now C/D is back with a long-term test report. After 6 months and 18,000 miles of driving, they still love the CX-5. Among the features they praise is a 28 mpg average over the test period, which is excellent for an AWD SUV.

Mazda stole a page from the Subaru Impreza playbook when they built the CX-5. The standard engine is a relatively small 2.0L four cylinder naturally aspirated gasoline model. The CX-5 weighs less than 3400 lb, so the small engine provides adequate power. While being slower than many competitors, the CX-5 handles well. So the vehicle is entertaining to drive.

Read more about C/D's long term test here
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mazda-cx-5-touring-awd-long-term-test-review

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
You betcha! We have one in the family now--an AWD Grand-Touring. It's a dream!

The specs on paper don't look very interesting but driving it is a whole different story. It's really responsive and engaging with nice feedback from the steering and great corning ability for a crossover. It feels faster than the CR-V, which has 25+ more horses. I think it's due to the quick-shifting, close-ratio dual-clutch 6-speed auto. My sister's averaging just over 30 mpg in it (yep, my jaw dropped), and she has a much heavier foot than I do. It also looks really nice and edgy. It's another one of those optical illusion cars--it looks bigger on the inside than on the outside. It's a big-time winner in this house!

Eric

gurban

Not to mention that with the new Mazda6 comes their low-compression diesel. Rumors are that it might make it to the CX-5, which would really make it something unique.

shfd739

Observer
Id love to replace our turbo CX7 with one of these. Especially if the diesel one happens. Ive looked at these a few times and love the space and layout. Im not sold on the lack of power after how much quicker our turbo CX7 scoots so Id rather wait for the diesel.

ExpoMike

Parents bought a FWD model and love it. It's very nice inside, has the typical Mazda "zoom-zoom" feeling (having owned Miatas before, I know this feeling) and seems to be a very nice vehicle. They have been averaging around 35 mpg. If I was in the new, small SUV market, it would be top on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears