MB Econoline 4x4 Transfer case: (750.617 - VG 500-3 W/1.64)

Cois

Good day, I have a conundrum which I need some assistance with. It is regarding the 4x4 and Low/High coupling system on the above mentioned transfer case.
According to my knowledge this transfer case has a 2x4 to 4x4 system as well as a High vs Low range system. It is not suppose to be permanent 4x4 as the case splits the power 50/50.
The means that there must be two air connections to operate both the systems with two sensors providing feedback to my dash. This how I would like to see it happen as well.

This is where I need some assistance and I am going to try and make this as clear as possible. (Please note that some photos were taken before the clean and respray)

This photo shows the case from the front with the left driveshaft being the front axle shaft and the right shaft being the input shaft from the gearbox. The encircled item is the 2x4 to 4x4 system and you can see the air hose and the sensor clearly. This makes sense to me still.

Front of case 1.jpeg

This is a second photo of the front of the case (taken a while back prior to repainting). Left is still the front axle shaft and right the input shaft. Encircled you can see a similar system as in the previous photo but here there is no sensor and no air connection. Something tells me that this is the Low to High system. What is strange to me is in the following photo.
Front of case 2.jpeg

This is the back side of the case and on the right you can see the driveshaft to the real axle.
Here you will find encircled an air connection which is in line with the previous photo front system where there is no air connection. Is this the Low to High range system?

Back of case.jpeg

Looking at the parts fisch looking at the shifting parts, it looks as if one system require tow air connections. I refer to parts 29 and 33 which are listed as pistons. Why does one system have 2 pistons (maybe for air connected from both sides) and the other one only one piston. Does it mean that as shown above, I would need to connect air to the front side of the case where currently there is none. And how does the to air connections on either side work together?
Sifting parts.jpeg

Please help me to resolve this issue so I can make provision for the correct air and sensors for my system to work nicely. Much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior