Me talking about my dead S80

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I have this Canon Powershot S80 which was a brilliant camera, but its broken with an E18 error - the lens won't extend or retract anymore. Its not under warranty to fix, and repair is too costly.

The other day, I went on to eBay looking for "Powershot S80". Working cameras were almost $300, but then I found one with a broken LCD for $19.99. Perfect! Surely I could manage an LCD swaperoo.

So I got in on the auction, and it went up... $30 - okay still worth it... $40 - dunno, didn't want to spend this much... $50 - well crap, I'm out. The auction ended at $57 (+$10 shipping) for the broken camera, but I didn't win. $70 (total) is a lot to spend on parts camera that I may or may not be able to fix. :(

Anyway, I was sad.

81639383_6a86fea6a4.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Have you called Canon?

My wife had an issue with her's (AF stopped working) and they gave her the option to fix it for $90 or trade it in on a newer refurb model for, I think, $100.

Might not be a bad option.

I hate that most P&S cameras are so fragile. I know several people who've had issues with their cameras only after having it a couple years. My wife probably only used hers 20 times before it failed.

I dig all the photos you post to the portal; so, I'm hoping you get a solution in place soon. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
tdesanto said:
I dig all the photos you post to the portal; so, I'm hoping you get a solution in place soon. :)

Thanks! Actually, I did replace it right away with a Canon Rebel XTi. But the Rebel is an entirely different beast. I still miss my trusty S80, as it could do stuff that the XTi can't - like go underwater (with housing), and automatically take a picture every "x" minutes.

In any case, you'll see no shortage of pictures from me. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears