Meet Yeti - 2013 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X

fnjeep314

Observer
Thanks! Definitely enjoying it.

Doing baseline stuff as I move through systems but being such low mileage, many items are not due under the normal maintenance schedule (like plugs). Brakes were done, suspension is still good (Pro-4X is all Bilstein). Doing known issue items like the heater hose fittings (failure prone). On my list is brake fluid flush. Being this is car #58 I have owned, I do go through systems and make sure everything is up to snuff. Thanks for asking.
Good deal. I have seen so many people buy rigs then dump tons of money in on mod and accessories and leave nothing for maintenance and then wonder why their rigs crapped out or broke in the middle of nowhere. That happened to me once, and that will be the only time that happens to me if I can help it. Im up with you on car #46. Personally I go through everything with a fine tooth comb. My wife likes to tell me that I am neurotic about it, but hey, I don't want a hefty tow bill randomly.

I look forward to the rest of the build. An X was always on my short list, but I could never find one that wasn't either high miles or clapped out when I was hunting. Now that my kids are getting older, maybe I can try and track a nice one down since they won't be in car seats anymore.

ExpoMike

Just a quick update. After adding some gear and the roof items, even though the measurements showed the rear was at stock ride height, when driving I could feel the back bottom out on the new Timbern SES stops. The SES stops are longer than stock (as they are designed to engage when you put enough weight on the back, i.e. a trailer). I could tell the stock Bilstein 4600 series shocks didn't have enough compression valving to stop this. The 5100 series have a stiffer valving so I decided I would put a set on the rear and see if that helped. So far, they have made a huge improvement, on both resisting bottoming out and in ride comfort. I'll know more as I get some more miles on them. So far, happy with the results.

PXL_20231216_185622509.jpg

PXL_20231216_190736992.MP.jpg

PXL_20231216_193745476.jpg

Maddmatt

Explorer
Mike - nice job on the write up and build - I'm about 3 years and 30k on the 5100s on the rear, they definitely make a significant improvement.

ExpoMike

Mike - nice job on the write up and build - I'm about 3 years and 30k on the 5100s on the rear, they definitely make a significant improvement.
Thanks! Yeah, definitely happy with the 5100's in the rear. Been a fun vehicle and though aftermarket support isn't like Jeep or Toyota, there is everything I could want out there for it. Really wish I would have gotten back into the X-world sooner. Been a nice upgrade from our Cherokee. Just hope it is as reliable as my two Cherokee's were. :)

Maddmatt

Explorer
Thanks! Yeah, definitely happy with the 5100's in the rear. Been a fun vehicle and though aftermarket support isn't like Jeep or Toyota, there is everything I could want out there for it. Really wish I would have gotten back into the X-world sooner. Been a nice upgrade from our Cherokee. Just hope it is as reliable as my two Cherokee's were. :)
I understand that - every once in awhile I buy things not because I need them, but because I'm worried they won't be available in the future (sliders, rear ladder, etc...). It will be years before I'm done with this car, but I'm sure the after-market will move on long before that...

ExpoMike

I understand that - every once in awhile I buy things not because I need them, but because I'm worried they won't be available in the future (sliders, rear ladder, etc...). It will be years before I'm done with this car, but I'm sure the after-market will move on long before that...
Yeah, totally get that. Been burnt on other projects of not getting an item, only to find out it's not available when I need it.

I'm confident your Xterra will be way more reliable than your Cherokees. My 2013 X has gone through hell and back and never given up :)

ExpoMike

I'm confident your Xterra will be way more reliable than your Cherokees. My 2013 X has gone through hell and back and never given up :)
Yeah I hope so. So much more electronic stuff that could fail. Both of my Cherokees were fairly "old school" when compared and between the 10 years total I had them, never once left me stranded. :)

I do love the Locker bypass harness. Being able to use the locker in 2WD really makes using 4WD much less in many cases. I think my favorite mod to date. :D

Hey Mike. I‘m enjoying the write up. I just picked up a 2012 Pro 4X that will be making a long journey down south so your serendipitous mods are a perfect find. Keep it coming.

ExpoMike

Not much to update but I did swap out the fog lights. I installed the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights but found they were way too bright for normal driving use. Back roads with no other traffic, they were awesome but daily, around town/traffic use, they were just blinding. Decided to swap them out with a set of their Elite lights. These are much more like a standard fog light, with a good cutoff and appropriate output for daily use. The swap was really easy, since there are only 3 screw holding in the light brackets and the same wire adapters are used between the SS3 Pro's I have.

PXL_20240317_215257667.jpg

PXL_20240329_180411998.jpg

PXL_20240329_184902308.jpg

PXL_20240329_184851127.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior