Merc 1124 AF Touring in Europe

Toby3

Hi, planning a few trips initially in Europe this year, hopefully heading up to Norway from UK through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden. Driven there before few times in Land Rover but will be first time in Truck so is there any particular truck related things to be aware off - ie any unusual constraints, limitations to be aware of over and above the usual sort of truck rules in the UK. Thanks for this.

Cheers Tobias

Neil

Observer
Truck so is there any particular truck related things to be aware off - ie any unusual constraints, limitations to be aware of over and above the usual sort of truck rules i

Toby

Just be aware that because you are over 3500kg there is a whole load of different rules for Toll roads.
Some are pay as you go
Some will require you to but a device that you put in the vehicle . Eg Austri with a GOBOX
Some will require you to set up an app before you enter the country such as Portugal

I am just planning a route from the UK to Turkey and there are 6 different toll systems

Neil

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Toby

Just be aware that because you are over 3500kg there is a whole load of different rules for Toll roads.
Some are pay as you go
Some will require you to but a device that you put in the vehicle . Eg Austri with a GOBOX
Some will require you to set up an app before you enter the country such as Portugal

I am just planning a route from the UK to Turkey and there are 6 different toll systems

Neil
Neil, would love any tips. Without a UK bank account we have been unable to buy any of the magic boxes for tolls. Credit card worked in France, most of the time. 😉

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
My recent experience (last 24 months) with tolls if it is any help. All credit card references are USA-based cards.

Southern France (Lyon south to Spain, full east to west) 95% touch or chip card works great, but a need cash for the 5% that were 'unhappy'.
Spain, I had an 'OBE' (wireless communication). If you plan on any time in Spain and can rent one, they are awesome.
Northern Italy (Florance north, full east to west). 99%+ touch or chip card works great. BTW, the 'Col de Tende Road Tunnel' between France and Italy is closed until 2025 (I only mention this as I found out the hard way and no easy bypass)
Slovenia. You must have a vignette but super easy to get online. I messed up and had been traveling all day on roads that required one. Years ago there were official booths where you could buy, and where they were checked. Now all online (and maybe gas stations, etc) with road cameras checking for compliance. But even the single-day vignette is good for 24 hours (midnight to midnight), so I bought mine during the afternoon sitting in my car in a museum parking lot and it was very simple and good back to 00:01 of that day, so I was golden and no 200€ fine.

Another FYI, if you have anything off the back of your truck, Spain and Italy require specific (and different) reflective 50cm x 50cm panels. Most that you can buy are two-sided, so you have the correct pattern (3 or 5 strips) for the respective country. France, Germany, etc do not require them (unless the load is greater than 10% of overall vehicle length), but 80%+ just use one of those two patterns anyway.

I'm guess traveling in an 1124 you will not need any 'tips' on avoiding speeding tickets, but if so, let me know. 😉

Toby3

hi, thanks for all the advice. I'm hoping to be okay re the speeding tickets although with uprated diffs and a good hill who knows. ☺️

Neil

Observer
Neil, would love any tips. Without a UK bank account we have been unable to buy any of the magic boxes for tolls. Credit card worked in France, most of the time. 😉

We might be in the same boat since Brexit.

I will let you know

Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior