Mercedes 1222 4x4 firetruck on ebay

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Wow! Ive seen a few of those but never considered one due to availability. I dont need to carry that many passengers, possibly trim that cab down.

What kind of speed can they cruise at?
Thanks
Chris

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
Wow! Ive seen a few of those but never considered one due to availability. I dont need to carry that many passengers, possibly trim that cab down.

Thanks
Chris

This one is 55mph max with the stock tires, but most owners put larger super singles on. A 46" tires will make it go 65.

henchman26

Zach Gray

I have driven (and sometimes owned) a *lot* of old European iron, from mogs to pinzies to old VWs, and they are usually underpowered by US standards. the 1222 is somewhere in the upper-middle in terms of performance, it gets along fine in traffic and had no problems pulling hills the couple of times I drove it. I think you could plan on downshifting on long hills, and long passes over the mountains you are probably in the slow lane, but at the same time it never felt like the power or speed was a liability. You have to remember that trucks in Germany are legally limited to 80km/h so there was little motivation for Mercedes to make them go much faster than that.

The *handling* is very nice, it is tight, predictable, and very easy to drive both at speed and around town. For such a large truck there was no body sway or floatiness, basically what you would expect from a well-engineered truck.

henchman26

Zach Gray
1632858336700.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears