Mercedez 508d motorhome project

justfred

Adventurer
I'm in San Diego, and this came up on Craigslist, it's been there a while. Other than having seen it, I know nothing about it. I don't think this one is for me, but it might be for you?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/2363258815.html

In case the ad comes down, this is all it says:

MERCEDEZ BENZ MOTORHOME DIESEL - $1595 (EL CAJON)
DIESEL
READY FOR RESTORATION
RUNS
619-467-0803
(and one almost-useless picture of the back)

Went to check this out this weekend. It's at a junkyard past El Cajon, and it looks like it hasn't been sitting there too long; tires have air.

I'm pretty sure it's a 508d, or maybe a 406d though I didn't see the badge. I should have taken pictures, but I was pretty certain I didn't want it. There's certainly rust - around the windows and other joins. The rear window is missing, replaced by plywood. Everything inside has been removed, but it looks like a lot of it's there - seats, fridge, sink. I didn't hear it run. The exterior doesn't look too bad, and with a cleanup, some paint, and the seats put back in so it would be test driveable it should sell for more than you bought it for. Hell, you could even sell it to me!

Looks like a LOT of work. On the other hand, it's cheap, I bet they're willing to drop the price a bit, and where else are you going to find a 508d?

Last edited:

LukeH

Adventurer
Hiya.
Ok so the body of a 508 could be a reasonable size for a camper, but just remember:
508 = 5tonnes and 80 horse power!
That's ok if you have unlimited time to tour, but for your American 12 days of holiday per year, it's going to be very frustrating (and noisy) to take on long weekends.
I also read recently that Mercedes USA prohibits car dealers from bordering parts for these vans. How true that is needs checking, but imho rubber parts are going to be hard to find.
Unless you have friends in Europe.

kerry

Expedition Leader
You're right, Mercedes dealers do not carry parts for these vans. There are a couple of specialty shops in the US that do. When I owned a 409d, I used to order parts from www.eurocarparts.co.uk. I think top speed is about 58mph or something like that.

DzlToy

Explorer
^^ that seems a bit strange, especially with the "global-ness" of Daimler, but I will take your word for it. Just use ebay, forums and third party suppliers to get what you need. Would never take a truck like that to the stealership anyway.

kerry

Expedition Leader
^^ that seems a bit strange, especially with the "global-ness" of Daimler, but I will take your word for it. Just use ebay, forums and third party suppliers to get what you need. Would never take a truck like that to the stealership anyway.

Mercedes wanted a reputation as a luxury car company in the US. Their dealerships didn't sell trucks or vans. They only started importing the Sprinter van after they hooked up with Chrysler and then they didn't sell them at MB dealerships but only Dodge and Freightliner. When they broke up with Chrysler they started selling Sprinters at a few select car dealers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online