Micro SUV: VW Taigun concept

haven

Expedition Leader
VWTaigunConcept.jpg

VW is showing the Taigun concept vehicle this week at the Sao Paulo auto show. The Taigun is built from VW's New Small Family chassis, also used in the UP! sedan. The Taigun sits on a wheelbase 4 inches shorter than a Golf, and it's 15 inches shorter overall. It's about the size of the Suzuki Jimny. The Taigun concept is powered by a 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo gasoline engine that produces 108 horsepower and 129 pound-feet of torque. The transmission is a six speed manual. The vehicle is rated to deliver about 50 mpg (US gallons).

VW has not announced a plan to produce the Taigun for sale anywhere. However, it's a logical addition to the UP! family. Like the Fiat Panda, the Taigun looks like a natural fit for outdoors-oriented young people who can afford to buy a new vehicle.

wyojoe

Adventurer
That's a neat little vehicle, and considering the fuel economy, it's something I would consider purchasing as a daily driver. Because it's something I like, I'm very certain we won't be able to buy it in the U.S. just like most of the other vehicles I like.

4xdog

Explorer
I saw several of the VW Up model in Denmark last week -- not all that common in Europe yet. Boy, that car is *tiny* for a SUV platform! Much tinier -- at least in Up form-- than it looks in that photo. Think smaller than a Mini, or even a Fiat 500.

I love minicars, but that one is just too small to be anything more than a commuter, especially in the US.

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior