microwave

skysix

Adventurer
Not sure never tried anything larger then a 1000W inverter

The one I looked at last week at Home Depot actually required (if I remember right) 1050 or 1150 watts to operate. So an inverter with a continuous power rating of 1200W would be needed - likely one with a 1800W surge rating.

Check out some of the European sites - I think it is Sanyo that makes a 700W microwave that runs on 24vdc for the trucking industry. Flying J's sometimes has a 450W small boxy one that runs on 110vac or 12vdc...

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The one I looked at last week at Home Depot actually required (if I remember right) 1050 or 1150 watts to operate. So an inverter with a continuious powwer rating of 1200W would be needed - likely an found with a 1800W surge model.

Check out some of the European sites - I think it is Sanyo that makes a 700W microwave that runs on 24vdc for the trucking industry. Flying J's sometimes has a 450W small boxy one that runs on 110vac or 12vdc...

The problem with the digital units is when the inverter get the big demand the voltage drop is big even though it is only for less then a second it is enough to kill the digital signal and it resets. Where with the analog it is turned on mechanicaly so when the voltage comes back up it just starts.
I tried a couple different unit when I was searching. Things may have changed since then. I guess you can alway return if it will not work.

gasman

Adventurer
hey i been thinking about one of these .. i stopped for breakfast at a truck stop a couple o months ago and they had a couple for sale in the store there.. they were all 12v units .. if somebuddy were lookin for one that might be a good place to start..

kenallwine

Adventurer
This is something I come across quite a bit at work as I am in the power electronics industry and deal with this a lot with UPS systems

The issue with inverters is that there are two main types of technology used. One is "modified sine wave or square wave" and the other is "pure sine" wave. The pure sine wave inverters produces a nice smooth 60hz output just like at your house. The modified sine wave intverters produce a very jagged output wave form. pure sine wave inverters are very expensive but will ensure your stuff lasts a long time. The digital inverters you can get at good prices are very rough on your equipment. Just something to keep in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears