Military Auction Trailers

wesel123

Explorer
Hey all,

I'm purchasing a military owned Scamp trailer from a government auction. I went and looked at the trailer yesterday but cold not find the Vin. I called Scamp and they told me where to look but in the are that the vin is there is a welded plate with the number A13-0131. I'm assuming this is a tracking number for military inventory but how is it going to help be get this thing registered???

I'm hoping that someone who has registered at 101 or 105 will know. Thanks.

kai38

Explorer
I'm not sure which trailer that, is but when I registered my M416 in NM I just told them it was a homemade trailer. It didn't have a VIN so one was issued by NM for it. I had to stamp it into the frame.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
In Oregon you don't even have to have plates under a certain weight...quite heavy as i remember.

mudbutt

Explorer
Just make sure you keep all of your receipts.... DMV should assign you a new VIN.....

But don't quote me....

wesel123

Explorer
This trailer weighs in under 2000 Lbs. But I belive I'll need to get that verified if it isn't on the paper work. When I got the Conqueror registered the weight was a big issue for them.

I really hope that they'll give me a vin.

here4fun

Observer
I recently registed a M101CDN trailer purchased here in California. It is registered as a Specially Constructed Vehicle from parts using the DMV registration process found at - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm A trailer weight declaration does not need be provided if the trailer is under 6,000 pounds and a vehicle light declaration is not needed as long as the trailer is registered as under 3,000 pounds. The usual emissions and smog declarations do not apply to a trailer.

The application for Title requires a VIN to be assigned by the DMV to the trailer then the usual Title process takes over. Just note that your sales receipt needs to state the components that were assembled (e.g.; Trailer box, axle, two hubs, two wheels, trailer frame, etc...)

I hope the information helps.

Cheers.

jagular7

Adventurer
Here is a link to decifer a VIN from a Scamp camper.

With a service receipt associating the property to the sale should be good enough for a title and tag for your local DMV. However, different states have different requirements for military vehicles.
Example, I purchased a CJ10A tug from a mil auction. It has a VIN. With my federal form, the receipt, and the proper paperwork, the state of Kansas would not provide a street title. They stated the vehicle is specially mfrd for the military for offroad. It pulls planes. However, I could get a street title if I was to take the 3 components of the VIN (engine, body, frame) and put 1 of them onto a street title vehicle. I could not take any 2 components from a offroad vehicle and make it street titleable. So I tried Missouri which gave me a title. Then I waited 6 months and brought the title to KS for a clear KS title. They wouldn't take the MO title because of the VIN.

I also bought a Scamp camper back in 02 from a mil auction. KS doesn't require tags or titles to trailers and campers under 2000#s. However, when I sold it 4 yrs later to a Iowian, he needed a title. He titled it as a home built and they gave him a VIN.

Good luck on the auction. I have seen these go up to $3500 for them. There were several about a month back in Cali that went to nearly $2500 for them.

Outback

Explorer
YOU NEED TO ALSO PAY FOR THE TITLE. DONT FORGET TO DO THIS. Contact the gov liq people before you bid. They will tell you all about the titling process. I believe its about $100 bucks for the title. This is what you will need to get it registered in your State. All States are diffrent but 99% of them will need this title in hand before they can get you registered. Then they will send you a new Title or PINK for that State. Keep this new title in a safe place. Most people loose these titles because they hardly ever need them. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman