Mixing things up...

billy bee

Adventurer
I am trading my very versatile KTM LC4 640E...

981526187_6hU6E-M.jpg

991884520_VUQ8F-M.jpg

...even up for a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM...
IMG_3094.jpg

on Friday (but keeping my motard wheels and tires to sell separately). The KTM has been a wonderful, trouble-free ride and is capable of generating lotsa smiles. I have not ridden it off road in two years or more, however...since a major back injury. So. most of the miles are accumulated in motard mode. A motard bike with 80/20 tires (like Tourances) is just perfect for riding around here. Lotsa grip for canyon carving and the capacity to rip up some forest service roads. I think the Suz will work well...

Also looking to trade my BMW R1100RT...

627733515_tBPJH-M.jpg

...for another, larger dual sport...like a Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom or a BMW airhead GS. Miss adventure riding on a big trailie. The RT is perfectly suited for highway commuting and touring with some sport riding mixed in. It is too heavy for the tight twisties I like to ride here on the central coast. OTOH, it was perfect for the occasional down-and-back commute I had to make to Los Angeles. If I still had work there, I'd consider keeping it...

The other bikes that spark my interest are the Moto Guzzi Quota and the Triumph Tiger. Tough time deciding among them. I think all four are capable of the down-and-back ride to LA if work picks up. All four would make for good Adventure Tourers. And I could use them in the twisties and on the fire roads. Also looking for ease-of-maintenance.

What big trailie do you ride and why? Help me get pointed in a specific direction. If I had the RT sold today, I'd probably buy a used WeeStrom. What would you buy?

bb

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Careful with that DRZ, I had a buddy mess up his ankle and leg on one a while back. Fun bike though, don't blame you :D.

billy bee

Adventurer
OK...here are a few of the bikes I am considering in trade for my RT:

BMW GS that was converted into a PD. Many recent upgrades. Luggage. Seller is a very nice guy and has documented his experience with the bike. Trade would likely involve a nice little adventure ride to/from the 4-Corners area for the trade. I also love the bumble-bee GS's.
469744351_sC4YZ-XL.jpg

Another option is this BMW GS. Low miles. Very clean. Far away. This bike would probably mean I ride to Iowa. I love Iowa and all, but that is feeling like a chore as opposed to an adventure. GS's in this condition, however, are increasingly difficult to find. Not a big fan of red bikes. I don't know why. Red looks great on my Jeep....
993082440_gUSid-M.jpg

Currently leaning toward the PD Bumble Bee. My handle hints both at my name, Bill Bartlett, and my old 1989 BMW R100GS (bumble bee, of course). Feeling like it is meant to be...

In terms of GS's in general. I like the body style of the early R100s as compared to the later ones. The PD's are cool no matter what... Still not opposed to a Tiger, Quota or a Wee Strom...particularly the Wee. But let's see where talks on the sexy black and yellow beast go. Will keep you posted.

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
I have not gotten any feedback on two-wheel alternatives to my shortlist. But I have forged ahead without your collective ExPo wisdom and put a deposit in this beauty:
90GSPD004.jpg

This is not a done deal quite yet, but I am pretty excited about this direction. Not this particular bike but going back to riding airheads (bikes with real character) in general. They are durable, simple, easy to maintain, and well-known alternative. But mostly they are cool, thrumming out torque with an engaging beat.

Opposed to that more visceral attraction is the Suzuki VStrom. Smooth, reliable, refined. And, perhaps, uninspiring. The DRZ SM I'm riding these days is an amazing machine, but I miss the KTM's character. But I have a newer bulletproof bike...that does not make my heart beat fast. I guess with ExPo or Adventure moto travel getting your heart beating by means of a man-machine connection is a luxury. The bike's first job is to deliver your ******** to a destination. But the connection is cool.

So, my short list of potential ExPo or Adventure bikes kept shifting but included such moto meanderings as the Buell Ulysses and Moto Guzzi Quota. They both have character in spades. In really thinking about this list of possible replacements for the RT, I kept drifting back to the Suzuki. That happened again this morning. Why would I want a 20-year-old BMW GSPD to ride cross-country? The VStrom makes lots of sense. Arrgh.

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
The GS PD seller calls me today to say the trans is going south and needs a rebuild. I called am old airhead mechanic friend of mine, Ted Porter, and am looking into costs. Not sure I want to start life out on my new AdvBike with a $1000 shop repair...

Suzuki is looking better and better all the time. But this Moto Guzzi strikes my fancy. Sexxy Beast.

quota_25_sm.jpg

I cannot believe nobody has an opinion on any of these bikes... Please make something up and write it in a reply to this post. I am going nuts with all these motorcycles running around in my head...

bb

Rexsname

Explorer
I keep hearing "Buy the one that just 'does it' for you".....but I can't help thinking that without reliability, emotional lust just isn't enough. Starting out with a bad transmission just sound like a really bad idea :Wow1: I vote for the 650 V-Strom

REX

billy bee

Adventurer
Here's the VStrom I like. It is nearby but a little overpriced. May be able to negotiate.

3p03o23l25O35Z35S5a9i5c36e598292c1650.jpg

But now I am thinking about the Buell Ulysses. Everything I have read says they are bulletproof, easy to maintain, and powerful. Plus it has sex appeal. Here's a really nice one for the same price as most of the Stroms I'm considering:

168_2332.JPG

Downside of the Uly is the "off-road" capability. But I would not use any of these big trail bike for anything more than fire roads. Another downside is fuel capacity. 4 gallons makes for a 200-mile range.

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
Here are the bikes that made the final cut:

2002 Capo, 30k, BuyItNow on Ebay for $4250, long list of upgrades and accessories but for sale in Flagstaff (kinda far away):
Cannot copy pic but here's a link to the auction.

2003 Tiger
, 10k, $4750 (on AdvRider), low miles, maintenance records, beautiful...grrrrr:

1028492519_xfNBT-L.jpg

2000 Quota, 36k, asking $3900, local sale, original owner, records, nicely outfitted, rare color combo:

1028492396_22WSn-L.jpg

2006 Wee, 13k, asking $4100, local sale. My wife has already vetoed this bike. It's too boring for her...

1028492331_mggL4-O.jpg

And the winner is:

The Tiger
1029226668_K9KGP-XL.jpg

I just could not bring myself to buy a Wee. Very reliable but just too vanilla for my tastes. The Tiger will be fun for a while and I may consider a Uly at another time...when the '08s float down into my price range.

bb

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Too late!

when I started reading this, I thought of a Wee I just looked at on ADV yesterday. Here is the ad:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622210

I love my Dakar and my R1150Rt, but had this been available a bit earlier, I may have picked it up instead of the Rt.

I think you made a great choice with the Tiger. Have fun, be safe!:bike_rider:

billy bee

Adventurer
when I started reading this, I thought of a Wee I just looked at on ADV yesterday. Here is the ad:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622210

I love my Dakar and my R1150Rt, but had this been available a bit earlier, I may have picked it up instead of the Rt.

I think you made a great choice with the Tiger. Have fun, be safe!:bike_rider:

I saw that bike on StromTroopers. Looks cool but I thought it was loaded up with too many goo-gaws...and I may be nit-picking, but the tires Shinko tires scare me. Seems like a lot of guys are running them, but I don't skimp on m/c tires.

Back to the goo-gaws...I usually spend money on suspension first. The only bike I ever owned that did not need some suspension help was the KTM. My new-to-me DRZ has had some suspension work done, but I have not done the research to figure out just what. But it handles great.

Back to the Strom...there are plenty of stock stroms for $4k or less. I'd sooner buy one of them and spend some cash on the suspension before spending $5k on that bike.

bb

billy bee

Adventurer
dsc0840h.jpg

:eek: I've had my bike called many things, but "Vanilla" is a first. :ylsmoke:

Nice choice btw, the secret is finding what works best for your style of riding. :victory:

I refer more to the riding experience. That's a sweet looking Strom. More cherry than vanilla.

Excited about the power of that Triumph triple.

bb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior