Moab trip help

mcgovski

Adventurer
My wife and I are headed to Moab at the end of April, beginning of May for 5 days. Our intention is to ride the mountain bikes as much as possible everyday. We are driving out from Nevada City, CA...1 day strait shot, and plan to camp in our truck camper. I am looking for information on what rides should we do and where can we boondock. We will have out 2 dogs with us as well...mountain bikes, dogs and Moab!!! I cant wait. any help would be much appreciated.
We have pretty good fitness and skills so we are looking for the goods....

thanks
Chris

preacherman

Explorer
Man if I don't go to Moab once a year I go crazy. You will have a blast.

I like the sand flats camping area. It is close to good riding and has great views and decent campsites. Some of the must rides are: Porcupine rim, amassa back (sp??), slickrock, sovereign, gemini bridges the list goes on and on. I honestly could spend a week in Moab and only ride slickrock and porcupine rim over and over and have a great time. They are great rides. The first of may is a great time to ride and the weather is usually great. Have a great time and drop me a pm if you have any specific questions.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Dogs are not allowed on slickrock in case you're taking your dogs with you. That time BTW is also Cruise Moab. There is camping both close and away from town. You can always try sand flats and if full can hit either South or North of town.

OneTime

Adventurer
I dont doubt Pskhaat is right about no dogs on Slick rock though I have seen plenty there. I really like to ride Soveriegn trail, They added some new stuff and the riding is great. Also if you can catch the shuttle to Hazard County, It takes you to Upper and Lower porcupine. Best riding ever period! Again the dogs will be an issue. Though try Coyote shuttle. They are low key and might be willing to take the dogs with you.

The problem with riding Porcupine Rim with dogs is the ride back to town is along the highway. If you parked you car at the end of the trail you could do it with dogs. You would have to make arrangements with the shuttle. Go to MTBR.com Tons of Moab and Mt biking info.

Hate to say it but riding moab with dogs is difficult.

Look up Coyote Shuttle they are cheap and good people. You cant miss Porcupine Rim.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Thanks for tall the info
I dont think the dogs will be going on the rides with us...They typically guard the camper while we are out! My dogs would drive me nuts on a bike ride, ziggin' and zaggin in front of me all day! They are both herding dogs...so they would be trying to round up everyone and everything it would be a nightmare!
But we do try to find areas where we can camp that is chill so the dogs arent wiggin out for 4-8 hours while we are gone. It is also nice to take them out and run around after...but I have been finding a greater resistance to dogs lately, it pretty much sucks. I keep my dogs on leash and clean up after them. I am pretty sure thats what dog owners are supposed to do, but some dont and ruin it for everyone. (stop this is not a dog thread)
Anyway, we are looking at Fruita, Co as a back up plan now...

Thanks again

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'll be down there for Cruise Moab but will be riding my bike most of the time I figure... If you want to go ride something feel free to look me up.. I'll PM you my number. With a couple people with a couple cars we can shuttle as well which would be nice....

OneTime

Adventurer
My Australian shepard is a great trail dog. Only problem I have it sometimes shes likes to get out infront instead of staying behind me. She doesn't herd the bike at all. She loves to ride with me. The one thing you have to remember when riding with dogs is they can't coast. Meaning they dont rest when you do.

Moab is more rocky techincal trails. Fruita is more flowing single track. Try Petefagerlin.com Check out his videos. The are amazing. Gives you a good feel for what to expect.

Last edited:

weatherm

Adventurer
Kokapeli !!! goto slick rock cycles and say I want to take the shuttle to run kokapeli to SPS / LPS to Porcupine Rim ... should run you about 6 hours of taking it easy

do slick rock both ways!! its a blast

I'm going to be headed out there late july if anyone wants to ride... im gonna rent a bike for a day..(im with the wife and she doesn't ride) so solo is gonna kinda suck :p

you you can also camp over by potash road for free if you wake up early enough :) just a heads up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78