modern construction

garybo

Adventurer
We have a proven rig with for full time comfortable living. Could all this be scaled down into a quality, tough,
MODERN, smaller rig? We've ruled out: Tiger, SMB, a GXV cabin on a truck wouldn't be any smaller, all the 'prized'
European 4cyl diesels are for temporary but perhaps not full time living, and not available in the USA.

For some strange reason I can't rule out the XP- it has little storage, a small frig and some canvas- not ideal for full timers. (yes, I know the Cartwrights are in Africa with it, but they have a house to come home to). I guess it's just the romantic idea of absolutely modern construction in a 'go anywhere' package that's appealing to me.

Other than the XP and GXV cabins, who else in the USA makes a cabin with modern materials/construction?

GXV uses SCS (structural composite sandwich)- I'm guessing this is like Nidacore(http://nida-core.com/english/); I think
their Turtle cabin is modeled after the Wescott's Turtle V cabin.

XP uses a monocoque sandwich of a molded composite-over-foam core wrapped with hand laid unidirectional fiberglass
reinforced with carbon fiber and Kevlar (http://www.diabgroup.com/Products-and-services/Core-Material).
Who else?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Action Camper (www.actioncamper.com) looks like a better option than the XP... but not really available yet - Jeep JKU based.

With the new Ford Transit becoming available in 2013 with 4x4 conversion - it would be another option to consider. Should have a lot more room than a E350 based SMB and no pop-up required.

garybo

Adventurer
The Ford Transit with a Power Stroke diesel or EcoBoost v6 and optional 4x4 should give the Sprinter needed competition and a nudge on the 4x4 option. Guessing all the E450 class C rigs will have to change over. The diesels will have ULSD requirements. The EcoBoost might be a good economical compromise.
The Action Camper would be too small for us, being full timers.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Action Camper (www.actioncamper.com) looks like a better option than the XP... but not really available yet - Jeep JKU based.

I'd say an Action Camper would a worse decision than an XP for a full timer couple. Its even smaller (less storage and lower GVWR), no bathroom, no fixed bed, and more canvas (which the OP doesn't want).

For modern construction, an Earthroamer fits and all sorts of cool high-tech toys. Its pretty big and outside of most people's budgets, but also about as small (or smaller) than what most people would want to full time in. It depends on what the OP (and significant other) are willing to endure.

garybo

Adventurer
Forgot that the Earthroamer uses modern monocoque composite construction- glad to have that on this list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman