Modifications to the tongue on Military Trailers

Martyn, I would say after seeing the Newer style Max coupler and hearing some of the conversations about the design of it. It doesn't look too difficult (design wise) to offer it with a tapers shaft end instead of the receiver tube type end. This would allow those of us with military type trailers to retain the drop down leg assembly as well as make the conversion a simple one-bolt operation. just food for thought.....

njtaco

Explorer
Start with these...

I had two of these made up to convert to a 2" coupler on one, and a receiver type end on the other to accept a lock-n-roll coupler. I hope to have the 2" ID box tubing attached this weekend. That's 2" diameter stock, BTW.

The down side to making these longer is of course the leverage on the tapered female casting on the trailer. The up side is it is totally reversible, still adjustable for height, less chance of jack-knifing, and retains the original landing leg. Oh, another downside is cost...these are pricey.

Lunetteconversion.jpg

Lunetteconversion2.jpg

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Martyn, I would say after seeing the Newer style Max coupler and hearing some of the conversations about the design of it. It doesn’t look too difficult (design wise) to offer it with a tapers shaft end instead of the receiver tube type end. This would allow those of us with military type trailers to retain the drop down leg assembly as well as make the conversion a simple one-bolt operation. just food for thought.....

There are plans to make the Max Coupler be a weld on unit for the standard 50° tongue. As far as the military trailer tapered shaft goes there are no plans. It's sort of a small segment of a small portion of the trailer market.

toyrover

Observer
I had two of these made up to convert to a 2" coupler on one, and a receiver type end on the other to accept a lock-n-roll coupler. I hope to have the 2" ID box tubing attached this weekend. That's 2" diameter stock, BTW.

The down side to making these longer is of course the leverage on the tapered female casting on the trailer. The up side is it is totally reversible, still adjustable for height, less chance of jack-knifing, and retains the original landing leg. Oh, another downside is cost...these are pricey.

How much did they cost to get made?

Ireland

Adventurer
I find the drop leg portion of the military couplers to be a hang-up point when going over obstacles and have plans to scrap mine because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior