Mods that void new Fuso warranties

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Talking with a dealer about a newer Fuso FG- the topic of Super singles, suspension modification, possibly going over the Fuso 15' max box size, etc all came up. He said that any Fuso that is modified- pretty much voids the warranty. Those of you that have mods and had truck problems- what has Fuso's attitude been in regard to warranty issues?

Mark

Gatsma

Adventurer
The warranty on the WHOLE truck or just the affected parts/systems? If you had an engine-related problem,for example, and it can be proven the mods had nothing to do with it, the warranty has to be honored, to my belief. This is true with almost every warranty issue I've seen. There ARE exceptions.......

dlh62c

Explorer
You really need to talk to Alan at Sportsmobile West and Lance at Earthcruiser. These two companies are making mods to new Fuso FGs and they might have some input on the warranty issue. Unless the body design changed since I visited their shop, to mount a ATW Global Warrior body onto a North American frame required relocating some chassis mounted components, not sure on the Earthcruiser. Regarding the Duonic transmission, the owners manual recommends not changing the wheel/tire sizes.

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Talking with a dealer about a newer Fuso FG- the topic of Super singles, suspension modification, possibly going over the Fuso 15' max box size, etc all came up. He said that any Fuso that is modified- pretty much voids the warranty. Those of you that have mods and had truck problems- what has Fuso's attitude been in regard to warranty issues?

Mark
Warranty for the Fuso will be no different to any other manufacturer.

If you make modifications/or do things to your truck outside of what Mitsubishi authorize (i.e. not genuine Mitsu accessories), they reserve the right to decline warranting a failure if they believe this was caused by the modification.

What this means, if you convert to super singles for example, and your wheel bearings fail, that can easily deny that claim. However if your A/C fails, they should still warranty that.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Warranty issues are a very fickle beast at the best of times and open to "interpretation" by the Fuso dealer.

As an example... I raised the issue of the gear change between 4th and 3rd not feeling right on two separate occasions when I was at the dealership. Each time the vehicle was taken for a test drive by one of their mechanics and I was told "it's fine... that's just how it is". When I raised the issue for a third time, pointing out the excessive movement in the gearbox gate selector arm, the problem was referred to Fuso Australia. Their response was that they would not cover a "wear and tear part". At this point I should probably mention that the gearbox had done less than 4000 kilometres!!!

Basically, if they can get away with not fixing something under warranty that's what will probably happen. Doing any modifications just gives them more "outs".
Having said all this, when I take my truck to the dealer for services they seem more interested in checking out all of my mods, opposed to complaining about them having been done.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I spoke with a very knowledgable and friendly Fuso Rep today out in New Jersey. He told me that they use a "damage and a progressive damage" when looking at warranty claims. So yes, 19.5 super singles do not effect your warranty claim on the A/C- but could be considered for engine, transmission, wheel bearing, etc. He forwarded me the following and told me it was all covered on the mitfuso.com site. I looked, but could not find it. But what he sent looks like it was written by an attorney.

Warranty Statement for Use of After-market Equipment
Under the terms of MFTA's New Vehicle Limited Warranty, modification of a
chassis or chassis system or usage of any after-market part, kit, or
system is solely the responsibility of the installing dealer, upfitter,
and/or customer. MFTA makes no warranty for these modifications or parts.
Any MFTA component that is normally covered by an MFTA standard or
extended limited warranty which fails or becomes damaged due to a
modification or due to the installation or use of an after-market device
will not be covered. Further, any progressive damage caused by the
modification or by the installation or use of the after-market device will
likewise not be covered by MFTA. Please refer to the MFTA New Vehicle
Limited Warranty for specific coverage details.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
As has been said, if it's not a related modification to a system that's under warranty, they'll probably cover it. Mine was covered under warranty during recent service, with no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan