Mojave Space Port 11-10-2007

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Not quite land based for the Expedition part, but it was quite an adventure since this was first time I had been up in a small, private plane.

We flew from Camarillo to the Mojave Air and Space Port. Our rig of choice was a Cessna 172, with fully retractable gear, and a 180HP engine.
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07001.jpg

The view were quite awesome, and there are a fair amount of roads:
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07008.jpg

Here you can see the Wind Farm. Personal opinion, but I like the look of these monoliths:
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07034.jpg

Here is our first pass at the Port as there was a fair amount of traffic there, so we had to come in from a different direction than usual. You can see all the different planes on the ground:
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07037.jpg

MojaveSpacePort11-11-07044.jpg

Then we were given a van tour of the surrounding areas, including some cool hangars, and the actual bone yard, with planes in various stages of demolition and refurbishment.

What do you think, could this be the next Expedition Vehicle for a forward thinking Firefighter?
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07048.jpg

Of course, there was the obligitory USMC Mighty Mite:
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07053.jpg

And a very cool old Russian Plane, just back from being used in the new Indiana Jones movie, or so we were told.
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07056.jpg

All in all, it was an awesome day, and I got a very cool experience.

G

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Fergie said:
We flew from Camarillo to the Mojave Air and Space Port. Our rig of choice was a Cessna 172, with fully retractable gear, and a 180HP engine.
MojaveSpacePort11-11-07001.jpg
Thanks for sharing. Looks like fun! Always something interesting going on at Mojave Airport.

BTW- I got my "Complex Aircraft" endorsement in that very same 172 when I was learning to fly at Camarillo. Later, when I was a flight instructor, I used to train students for their Commercial Pilot License in that plane.

Small world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior