Montero 3.5 cold start woes

Josh p

Observer
I did a lot of searching here and it sounds like the IAC valve is a common problem. I disconnected it and it didn't change anything so I went ahead and replaced it. Still no start. I have been reading through the FSB and it suggests the injectors but that seems unlikely since it runs great once it gets going. Any suggestions on what to check next?

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Does it crank over slowly when starting? You must first determine if this is a starting or fuel system issue. Many possibilities here.

Josh p

Observer
No it cranks fine. I checked the battery voltage and it is good. It starts to backfire which has me thinking that it is getting fuel. I can smell gas too. It does have an aftermarket alarm which the previous owner says acts up. He had a toggle switch installed to turn it off if it kicks on. I thought maybe it could have something to do with that.
Reading in the FSB it sounded like I might want to check the fuel pump to make sure it's working. Again that seems strange since it works well once it does run. Do these things have a pressure accumulator pump in the tank for start up? I didn't see it in the FSB.

Josh p

Observer
After reading more in the FSB I see that it uses a check valve in the fuel pump instead of a second pump.

Josh p

Observer
I wanted to make sure the battery was ok so I had it tested. It cranks fine. MonteroLTD suggested isolating if it is a spark or fuel issue. Normally I would pull a plug and see if it sparks but since that is a lot of work on a 3.5 is there another way I am unaware of?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I would also check EGR Valve and Vacuum lines. I had a shop install them backwards which caused many cold idling issues on my 2001. They later noticed and told me they fixed them because someone had reversed them. They were the only ones who ever did any work on it so they told me they corrected their own mistake.:mad: I never had them do much work on it after that.

I also fiddled with the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body to improve cold idle speed.

Josh p

Observer
Thanks I will check those. Tomorrow I am going to clean the throttle body. It's not starting at all so I don't think it's the idle adjustment but I will still check it.

Josh p

Observer
I finally had time to work on the Montero and I figured out the fuel pump is bad. I removed the access panel in the floor but I can't get the fuel line off for anything. The pump side is somewhat rounded off so I am trying to be careful. I tried removing the line from the other end but I can't get to it enough to get it loose. If I end up breaking something is the lid and it's lines available anywhere?

I think the best solution would be to move to Arizona. I personally have trouble getting started in the morning. My bones hurt and I think some sunshine would do me good. I also like Mexican food so it is a win win. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears