Montero Sport Roof Rack for Roof Top Tent

Been searching and most of what I find is Montero, not sport stuff. I have an 03. I am building a trailer for out tent but was hoping to use it on the MS once in a while. The stock rack isn't capable of holding the tent without us in it so I know there needs to be some big upgrades. Gotta see if they are worth it.

Thanks, John

It is the stock rails and then I have some aftermarket cross bars. The book says 150 lbs max and I have had that up there and it just seems like too much. My tent is 15 lbs more than that weight plus 2 people so my gut said no. I get the difference between static and dynamic loads but the MS rack just never seemed stout to me... like most racks these days. Some nice gutter mounts would be nice. I guess I should trust in the plastic!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
It is the stock rails and then I have some aftermarket cross bars. The book says 150 lbs max and I have had that up there and it just seems like too much. My tent is 15 lbs more than that weight plus 2 people so my gut said no. I get the difference between static and dynamic loads but the MS rack just never seemed stout to me... like most racks these days. Some nice gutter mounts would be nice. I guess I should trust in the plastic!

That's a heavy heavy tent, I know they are pricey but I would look for a lighter one. I'm considering one as well but it will be at or under 100lbs. Thule makes a 165lb rated mount/crossbar system for the Sport but I would be more concerned about the center of gravity.

Its heavy because it is big (76"W x 96"L mattress). I am a very tall fellow 6'6" so I bought a big tent so I could be comfortable and I will always have my wife with me as well. Basically I wanted a king size like we have at home. I guess we are Glampers. :)

As far as center of gravity, yes that is why I am building a trailer for it which it will live on most of its life. Just exploring putting it on the MS for a random here or there trip where the trailer might not be necessary or possible.

Thanks for your replies.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ah makes sense. In that case I would go for having a third crossbar and using the higher weight rated thule system. Post pics!

montero98ls

Observer
When I had a sport I looked into it. You can make your own mounts like that or or purchase some then just add cross bars. Should be able to hold it. I've seen a few diys floating around for 4runners, same concept, it just has to be in that exact spot. It's the strongest part of the roof

When I had a sport I looked into it. You can make your own mounts like that or or purchase some then just add cross bars. Should be able to hold it. I've seen a few diys floating around for 4runners, same concept, it just has to be in that exact spot. It's the strongest part of the roof

Alright. That makes sense. I'all hunt for the 4 runner guide and take a look at feet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior