Montero SR 4M40 swap questions

sackettmw

I am working on a 1994 Montero SR with a damaged 3.5 DOHC. One of the options I am looking at is a 4M40 swap. It will be keeping the automatic trans so I am hoping someone can tell me if the 4m40 will bolt up to the current trans. As far as I can tell the only input I will need for the transmission to work is throttle position.

Also wondering if anyone has a good source for engines. The only place I am finding them is one ebay seller out of Canadia so maybe this is a sign that this engine is too old and I should find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Attaching images of damage just for fun
IMG_20240130_141436380.jpgIMG_20240130_141445543.jpg

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The trans is the same except you'll find the gas valve body doesn't suit the diesel very well. It'll slip like crazy, you can adjust the line pressure and do some other modifications but ultimately you'll burn it up. Since you'd be trying to source a diesel bellhousing and flexplate to make it work you'd be better off just buying an entire diesel auto and saving yourself the headache.
Now I don't know how much you've researched this swap but it's fairly straightforward, don't forget to flip the transmission crossmember to save yourself a lot of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior