MOS trip to Nipigon

Brendon

Minnesota Overland
As promised a trip report about the Midwest Overland Society's trip to scout out an overland route around the sixth great lake, Lake Nipigon.

Mos members, please post pics/videos here, as I don't have too many.

Tuesday afternoon we met at a beautiful piece of property, just north of Duluth, owned by a club member. Nice easy evening, adventurers showed up at their leisure, a bonfire and beers commenced.

Wednesday morning we broke camp:
DSC05213_zps210e02fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A few guys took a swim in a small river on the property(not me though, that water was COLD!), and a hard decision was made - the clutch started slipping on Forestderp's FJ-40, and it was decided the truck would stay in the US.
DSC05212_zpsc1862c45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here was the lineup: Defender 110, crew of 2, Flip-pac Taco, crew of 2+dog, Super Disco, crew of 2(Forestderp now riding shotgun), and me in the Rusty Mongoose. We headed north on US-61, an absolutley stunning drive along the north shore of Lake Superior. A quick stop at The Angry Trout in Grand Marais for a lake-side patio lunch, another cup of coffee, and we were off again. Border crossing went fine, only the crew of the Disco had to go in the border patrol's building. What happened in there can only be speculated about...
Flew through Thunder Bay on our way to the town of Nipigon. Great drive, the landscape is unbelievable. Stopped by an old friend's place off the highway near the town of Red Rock.
[URL=http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/mongoosevrx/media/nipigon/DSC05218_zps081d59b9.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af235/mongoosevrx/nipigon/DSC05218_zps081d59b9.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

The landowner, Phil, was one of the nicest and most generous people I have ever met. He told me to take a drive around and up the mountain, with a mischievous look in his eye, "it's only one mile". Rain clouds were closing in, so Forestderp and I hopped in the Mongoose and headed out with Tom and Mary Beth in the Taco. Soon after the two Rovers caught up to us, they knew what was up there, so we let them take the lead. What started as a cute little drive through the bust soon turned into a challenging rock crawl up the back side of the mountain, then it started to rain...
IMGP0793_zps7f938f35.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP0821_zps2e3bd108.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP0827_zps93192c1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got soaked!

IMGP0828_zps18c5feb0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We returned to the farm wet, tired, and hungry. Mary Beth suggested we eat the lasagna she brought, and since our generous host offered to use his oven, we did. Now full, dry, and tired, setting up camp in the dark wet Canadian evening seemed like the last thing in the world I wanted to do. Phil to the rescue again! "set your tents in the greenhouses" he said. "Brilliant idea!" I said. It was warm and dry, probably the best night's sleep I got on the whole trip.

Next morning we were up, packed, and planning the real meat and potatoes part, no more pavement if we could help it.

DSC05214_zpsc5446f67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This next leg consisted of old and active logging roads.

DSC05221_zpsa58c4055.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Passed a nice little hunting camp. Moose are so huge hunters have to build these log structures to hang their prizes.

DSC05220_zps52f0363e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice fun little tracks through the woods, until we came to a washout. Beavers had plugged a culvert, and the road washed out. Some ATVers had constructed a small log bridge, but not big enough for us.

DSC05222_zps646ef391.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beefed up the bridge and continued on.

IMGP0832_zps674317bd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMGP0840_zpsd3500fca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMGP0906_zpscc1d218a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMGP0917_zps4f0e9b2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bridge_zps951a5fae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Breathtaking scenery, even where it had been recently logged. We found it interesting that the loggers left some big white pines, made for a very cool landscape though.

IMGP0938_zpsd35fd7bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We found a great campsite on the shores of Black Sturgeon Lake. It was on a bit of a point with a nice breeze to keep the skeeters up in the woods. Plenty of beaver-provided driftwood for the fire, and a view that couldn't be beat!

DSC05225_zps99283165.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC05224_zps0519e020.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Brendon

Minnesota Overland
The shores of Black Sturgeon Lake. I love this photo, it really sums up our experience at this beautiful location.

BlackSturgeonlake_zpsa9a36f90.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next morning we're off again. Found some dust.

IMGP0950_zps01b5d332.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After driving most of the day(we were now above the 50th parallel), we found another picturesque campsite. An old logging camp-turned Pickerel fishing camp used by natives.

DSC05228_zps86a7475b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The lake had a sandy bottom, it was hot out, and I was filthy from all the dust. It was bath time. The water was cold(ice-out was just 3 weeks prior) and refreshing. Probably the most refreshed I've ever felt. Another cool thing(at least I thought) we experienced was a massive Swallowtail butterfly hatch. Thousands and thousands of these big yellow butterflies were everywhere in the afternoons. Sorry for the lousy photo, it's the only one I took of them. Maybe another MOS member got a better pic...

DSC05227_zpsc51d2450.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This campsite, or it's sister site a hundred yards down the shore, had an outhouse! A very nice outhouse, screened in and bug free with a view of the lake. The most interesting part of the outhouse was the graffiti inside.

IMGP0958_zpsabe7cb74.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This got us licking our chops. We were on the right path. I loved the "Same thing LPC's" comment too! LPC-leather personnel carriers(boots), funny stuff and a pretty amazing feat at that, Nipigon's huge!

We did some scouting on foot, but alas this was out last day, and we were nearing the end of our time up here.

IMGP0969_zps62dffb77.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMGP0970_zpsff7f4370.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

How did an old Mercury made it out there?

IMGP0973_zpsef1e6ea1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Maybe a bear brought the hubcap out there, we found it right next to his "scratching post".

bearscratch_zps76e3e377.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We decided to head south. This cow and calf waited just long enough to get the camera out and snap a quick pic.

IMGP0982_zpse776cc57.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We made it across the border with no problems, it felt good to be back in Minnesota. We decided to take a fun but challenging trail in an area we planned to camp for our final night. It's called Tom's Lake Road(a trail I've wanted to do for a few years), and mother nature decided it would be too easy if it were dry. The Mongoose isn't a rock crawler, but bouncing off the skid plates and rock sliders at the right speed and with really good spotting(thank you guys), I made it through as did everybody else.

IMGP0995_zps8831d320.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMGP0996_zps27f8d534.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMGP1000_zps33a95742.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We set up camp in the dark and in a light rain, but spirits were high. We had accomplished what we set out to do, scout a route around Lake Nipigon. Dinner, a couple beers, and off to bed. Next morning, I was up early, packed and ready to go before 7. I headed home as soon as my fellow travelers were out of bed. They took their time, played around on the north shore before heading home. Here are a couple pics:

IMGP1006_zps20e576d6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When there's a big concrete pier you can drive out into Lake Superior on, why wouldn't you?

IMGP1011_zpsfa47f5b8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gswoods_zps4c0504ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There had been some strong storms in the twin cities while we were gone. Lots of power outages, my power had been restored only a matter of hours before I got home. Found this branch waiting for me upon my arrival.

DSC05231_zps410e05ae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some MOS members got to keep camping when they got home. I heard some places on the western side of the cities were without power from Friday until Wednesday!

In conclusion, I would really like to thank all of my travel companions. Anne, Gustaf, Tom, Mary Beth, Sean, and Tony. Thank you all for adding to a wonderful experience! Thanks to Grady(the Airedale Terrier) too. Without your crumb/scrap patrols, who knows how many bears we would have attracted.

fishEH

Explorer
Nice pics! Did you guys actually make it all the way around Nipigon? How many days were you out?

aek50

Adventurer
Didn't actually make it all the way around. Was never the real intent of the trip. We now know the route and plan to return soon. Stay tuned for more in the coming months.

fishEH

Explorer
Didn't actually make it all the way around. Was never the real intent of the trip. We now know the route and plan to return soon. Stay tuned for more in the coming months.
Great trip report. I'd love to make the trip myself one day. Let me know if you're ever looking for rigs to make the trip. I've got a fully locked Disco 1 on 35's.

forestderp

Even though my clutch has issues, and i left my rig in Minnesota, i still had a great time. I will post up a bunch of pics from the trip when i am not on my cell phone.
Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12