Mountain bikes with rooftop tent

motas

Adventurer
I like that. Do they rattle around at all with the smaller sized axles? Could probably just mount one of each fork type mount right beside each other to carry any bike.

c_mack9

Adventurer
Mine has teh solid through axle too. Kuat makes a very cheap fork mount called Dirtbag, get the 15mm size and you're golden. I'm going for a ride today, I'll take some pics of my setup.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No my rooftop tent goes straight up.

Was thinking maybe making a tray that sits over the top of the tent but slides forward out of the way. But itd be a bit heavier.

hmm.. Yes the vertical lift RTT top makes it a tough problem to solve. I have a tip out idea for a trailer I'm thinking about building this winter. The basic idea being that a rack tips off to the side of the RTT to allow me to haul a canoe over the packed RTT then simply tips / pivots to the side to allow the RTT to open up and also would make unloading and loading the canoe easier etc. Though it might be a more complicated effort to do that with your roof rack set up vs having the trailer framing to work with. Just an idea to mull over.

aaen

Adventurer
Would a rack like this solve your issue?

1c04b972a84e001f3c1a184351050381.jpg

There are many other options/versions out there. I believe they are called rat racks? We use hem
Occasional if there is a tonneau cover or cab on the truck. They install into the hitch hold the bikes vertically and if you want access to the bed the bikes come off you pull a pin and the bike hanging part will rotate down so the bed can be accessed.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

aaen

Adventurer
Plus the bike/racks are usually high enough up to not impact departure angles/etc to much, unless your seriously off-roading.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I like that. Do they rattle around at all with the smaller sized axles? Could probably just mount one of each fork type mount right beside each other to carry any bike.
I lost the skewer for the 9mm on my last trip and used the bike skewer to attach the bike.. no rattles of any kind during the 1800 miles....
I run 15mm and 20mm on the other two bikes... my setup holds two bikes.....
I built my own set up, and thinking of building two more on the other swing out...

motas

Adventurer
Those two setups are really nice I like them! Think I might be able to put three vertical along the back like that. If I make the rack off my RTT frame instead of my towbar it keeps it closer in and higher up. Then I can put two on the roof with a hinged rack to get out of the way off the RTT if I ever need that many bikes. And i still have my entire tub for gear!

Cheers everyone when I get around to actually building it I'll post some pictures.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
1536623_10206585255888057_7374263573984724155_n.jpg

you can just make it out... but back on the trailer that is my Gary Fisher Cobia on a Yakima Raptor rack. The load bars are 84" wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12