Mounting bumpers other than what is commercially available for LR3/4

protohyp

Adventurer
I know this will probably rub a few the wrong way but we have mounted Jeep Bumpers on both my girlfriends LR as well as mine. Why would anyone do this? Let me lay out our reasons.

1. trying to save all the money we can for mechanical issues that are guaranteed to come up.
2. dont want to look like every LR out there that's running the same bumper.
3. the plethora of Jeep bumpers out there give you lots of choices for super solid bumpers with great approach and departure angles.
4. our local classifieds are FILLED with jeep bumpers and winch mounts for under 300.00. This includes swing outs for the rear tire carrier.
5. most respectable jeep bumpers are solid well built units that are tried and true.
6. WHY NOT?!??!

Here are pics of my gf's.

Hers is mounted with a Warn Elite front bumper and a rear Hanson Offroad with swing out. Retail cost for the bumpers would be about 800.00 for the Warn and 1800.00 for the Hanson with all the accessories we got with it. She paid 400.00 for both.

We obviously had to fabricate mounts in order for it to work properly. On most of our overland vehicles we run mounts for both front and rear winch mounting so we fabricated dual receiver hitches that our welded directly to the frame that mounts to the chassis. They are independent of the actual bumper although the bumper still mounts to this sub frame. We used dual hitch mounts as a single receiver mount drastically reduces the pull capacity of your winch at certain angles. and the Warn hitch mount is only rated for 10k straight line pull. The winch is wired via Anderson Plugs so we can quickly disconnect to run it to the rear.

The rear bumper was the hardest as we had to navigate around the rear factory hitch which we ended up cutting completely out and welding a whole new frame containing the receivers directly to the LR Frame rails.

Here are some pictures of her setup.
FullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender-1.jpeg

I just recently acquired my LR from a friend and quickly dived into our local classifieds to find some bumpers. I found the same rear Hanson rear bumper as my GF's for 300.00 and the guy even delivered it to me. The front bumper is a Smittybilt XRC that was brand new but it was a stubby setup. Picked it up locally for 100.00. The M.O.D. series from smittybilt has wings that I can attach to extend the bumper but this particular one was not a M.O.D. series but I did purchase a M.O.D. stinger and cut it to modify prerunner type wings to the bumper. I documented it on my YouTube channel so if you'd like to see it the link is below.

I also have a few other videos on some mods I've done.

Here are some pics of that.

66191093481__EE1A9EA7-0C8F-42EB-A6C9-1B5D53707A16.jpegIMG_6805.jpeg

I have yet to do the rear bumper but I dont think I will be doing it like my GF's.

So there you have it. I hope I dont upset too many purists here but I bought my LR for 1500.00 and my GF got hers for 2700.00 and there is no way that we were going to buy bumpers that would've cost more than we paid for the rigs.

If any of you attempt it dont be afraid to think outside the box but obviously have the means to fabricate yourself or communicate to someone else that can fabricate your ideas and thoughts.

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
To each there own, if you have the fab skills. I fallow you on Instagram and as long as you are out having adventure and like the final product that’s all that matters. I have an ARB front and a tactical 4x4 rear and if I had it to do over I would rather have a hidden winch mount in the front and a Mantec tire carrier. Just to keep it light and I think it looks a lot nicer than all the big bumper.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Nothing wrong with those bumpers.
Your vehicle
Your money
your choice

As long as they're solidly mounted and your insurance is not voided, enjoy !

gabrielef

Narwhal here! I think it’s great that you figured this out! I had a quick laugh though…don’t want to look like all the Rivers out there?? But you’d rather look like EVERY Jeep out there lolol. Just busting yer ballz, was just too funny to pass up.

Again, nice work figuring it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protohyp

Adventurer
Narwhal here! I think it’s great that you figured this out! I had a quick laugh though…don’t want to look like all the Rivers out there?? But you’d rather look like EVERY Jeep out there lolol. Just busting yer ballz, was just too funny to pass up.

Again, nice work figuring it out!

Haha. Funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12