Mounting panels to overland rack: tiltable/adjustable solution?

oguruma

I'm looking to add a solar setup. I'd like to be able to mount the panels to a Letiner ACS rack.

I'd like to have them flat while driving, but be able to tilt them in various directions. Is there a bracket that supports this?

TwinStick

Explorer
It sounds like a custom made solution to me. Especially if you want it to be tiltable in more than one direction. It certainly is doable and if done right, it could be a huge money maker for you. There are plenty of people who would want this not to mention the RVers market.

Trailwerx

Here's a simple solution for a 4-way tilt system: 1. Weld up a rectangular "picture frame" structure of, say, 1 1/2" OD stainless or aluminum round tubing, slightly larger than your solar panel. The frame can be permanently mounted to your roof rack or vehicle. 2. Bolt eight - ten ea. appropriately sized Gripfist rubber QR clamps, two (or three, for larger panels) onto each side and two to each end of the solar panel with 1/4" -20 stainless pan head bolts, washers, and locknuts. 3. Attach panel to framework with Gripfists. The panel will be suspended inside the frame like a trampoline. 4. Modify a telescoping painters' pole or telescoping tent pole to use as an adjustable strut to accomodate a range of tilt angles. It needs to be mechanically attached at each end to prevent damage from a wind gust. Usage: Fastening all eight - ten Gripfists to framework will lock the panel in closed position and provide shock absorption on rough roads. Fastening just two (or three if on side of larger panel) of the clamps to the framework will allow the panel to tilt up on the framework in that direction. For that matter, it also allows you to completely remove the panel for storage, roof maintenance, etc. Granted, you will have to climb up there to tilt manually and again to resecure. If you are envisioning this contraption to tilt electronically and automatically, it's possible but you're gonna need a lot of aspirin. Don't forget to allow for the strong uplift forces when panels are mounted to a roof-top structure. I used this concept to build a one-way tilt panel and it works just fine and I see no reason it wouldn't work for a four-way system. Gripfist clamps are inexpensive, durable, and are available on Amazon and at Sportsman's Warehouse. Good luck.

Attachments

• solar panels.jpg
    solar panels.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 21
  • solar panels4.jpg
    solar panels4.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 20
  • solar panels2.jpg
    solar panels2.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Trestle

I had an airstream that I put two large panels on. I had them only tilt in one direction, but you could have it to tilt in two easily. I used 1.5" aluminum angle as the base mount to attache the panel to the surface (likely your rack), four per panel. I drilled the aluminum sides of the panels and inserted RivNuts in 1/4-20. Then I used the same thread pitch in those specialty knobs you find in the hardware store so that you can tighten/loosen by hand. Finally made two bars out of aluminum bar. The length of the bar was to get your preferred panel angle when inserted between the angle mounts and the panel threaded RivNuts. One end of the bar with a RivNut, the other with just a hole.

Solar panel in down (flat) position - no bars inserted, all 4x hand nuts placed through holes in angle and tightened into RivNuts in panels.

Tilting the panel in the angled position - involved unscrewing two opposing hand nuts, tilting the panel up, inserting the bars (open hole at top, hand nut tightened thru into solar panel) between the pan and aluminum angle. Fifth and sixth hand nut went through angle to bottom end of bar into it's RivNut.

I wish I had pics, because it really would be worth the 1000 words I probably just typed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online