MPG Numbers for 2024 Tacoma 2.4T No Hybrid

Umbrarian

Observer
So two guys posted a video of their new Taco. This is a 2024 with 2.4LTurbo, no hybrid. From Houston to Dallas, they got 24.2 mpg, then they picked up small camping trailer and headed towards CO. Didnt get far before they had to refuel, towing it got 12.4 mpg.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 174435.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 174435.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

nickw

Adventurer
So two guys posted a video of their new Taco. This is a 2024 with 2.4LTurbo, no hybrid. From Houston to Dallas, they got 24.2 mpg, then they picked up small camping trailer and headed towards CO. Didnt get far before they had to refuel, towing it got 12.4 mpg.

Ouch - gets the same MPG as my Ram 2500 Hemi towing a 7k trailer but it has a tank almost 2x as big....that's a lot of fill ups with only 18.x gallon tank.

It's pretty sim to my 2.3L Ranger actually and the small tank was was a major PITA towing or loaded down.

(none)

Adventurer
Ouch - gets the same MPG as my Ram 2500 Hemi towing a 7k trailer but it has a tank almost 2x as big....that's a lot of fill ups with only 18.x gallon tank.

It's pretty sim to my 2.3L Ranger actually and the small tank was was a major PITA towing or loaded down.

Exactly, the small tank is gonna be a downfall with towing. I'm in the same boat with your Ram with my Tundra. Yep, it'll get the same mileage but at least the tank is huge so i still get range at least.

When i had my Frontier, towing the gas light would come on every 160miles or so (with a 21 gallon tank), very annoying.

HopeOverLandandSea

I am a bit surprised at the 12.4 towing, I towed my Aliner camper, 2500 pounds or so, similar shape, 8000 miles last summer at 60-65 mph getting 16-17mpg. I wonder if they are pulling at 70-75 where the truck is constantly shifted down to 6th or 7th gear. I picked my MPH based on my RPMs, goal was to stay right at 2k most of the time. This was a Wrangler with the 2.0 Turbo but same / similar results in the JT I purchased after this road trip, on shorter trips.

I test drove at 2021 Tacoma pulling my Aliner and the 22 JT I bought and noticed at the exact same spots on the hwy at the same speed (65 mph) the Taco was at 2500+ rpm vs the 2000 of the JT, not sure if that was torque, 8 spd vs 6spd or combo. But it was the deciding factor on buying the JT vs Taco.

The killer app will be if the hybrid somehow brings this up / if I could get 20-22 mpg TOWING at 65 mph that would be a game changer. I seriously considered JT diesel for that reason but the fuel pump issues scared me off.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I am a bit surprised at the 12.4 towing, I towed my Aliner camper, 2500 pounds or so, similar shape, 8000 miles last summer at 60-65 mph getting 16-17mpg. I wonder if they are pulling at 70-75 where the truck is constantly shifted down to 6th or 7th gear. I picked my MPH based on my RPMs, goal was to stay right at 2k most of the time. This was a Wrangler with the 2.0 Turbo but same / similar results in the JT I purchased after this road trip, on shorter trips.

I test drove at 2021 Tacoma pulling my Aliner and the 22 JT I bought and noticed at the exact same spots on the hwy at the same speed (65 mph) the Taco was at 2500+ rpm vs the 2000 of the JT, not sure if that was torque, 8 spd vs 6spd or combo. But it was the deciding factor on buying the JT vs Taco.

The killer app will be if the hybrid somehow brings this up / if I could get 20-22 mpg TOWING at 65 mph that would be a game changer. I seriously considered JT diesel for that reason but the fuel pump issues scared me off.
They were pulling uphill the entire way. Started at 500’ and ended at 5500’, spread that over 800 miles it’s just a constant slow rise, you never get to level out, that had to hurt a lot.

Umbrarian

Observer
They were pulling uphill the entire way. Started at 500’ and ended at 5500’, spread that over 800 miles it’s just a constant slow rise, you never get to level out, that had to hurt a lot.
The mileage was entirely within Texas.

First tank fill no trailer (12:45 in video) was 233 miles and 9.224 gallons = 24.17 mpg. This appeared to be Buc-ees in Denton, TX.

Second tank fill with trailer (23:40 in video) was 152 miles and 12.283 gallons = 12.37 mpg. This appeared to be Cefco in Vernon, TX.

'They said they ran ECO mode for first tank, and TRAILER mode for second tank.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The mileage was entirely within Texas.

First tank fill no trailer (12:45 in video) was 233 miles and 9.224 gallons = 24.17 mpg. This appeared to be Buc-ees in Denton, TX.

Second tank fill with trailer (23:40 in video) was 152 miles and 12.283 gallons = 12.37 mpg. This appeared to be Cefco in Vernon, TX.

'They said they ran ECO mode for first tank, and TRAILER mode for second tank.
Good catch- I was just looking at the overall trip.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Aliner is definitely more aero than that trailer. I bet the side boxes are 3mpg hit over the same trailer without them. Trailer owner has a built Jeep he tows with which is already at the bottom of the mileage bin without a trailer. Doubt the trailer impacts his mileage much with the jeep because he’s probably getting 11mpg regardless 😆

beef tits

You'll get terrible mileage towing in any vehicle at real highway speeds (70-80MPH). In the video they are clearly doign ~75 MPH. 12.4 MPG is better than I would expect. 24.2 MPG is also higher than I would expect, not towing, even with an I4. 4 cylinder or not, it's still shaped like a brick.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Seems about the same as my Ranger with the 2.3 turbo. This setup got 14mpg using the recommended 91 octane for towing.
That 18 gallon tank is real lame when you're trying to make time across the wide open states and you have to stop every 2 hours for fuel.
scamp.jpeg

Attachments

• scamp.jpeg
    scamp.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Can’t believe that disconnect snapped in the front diff of the Tacoma, they weren’t even wheeling it hard..

Toyota sources parts just like other brands. Parts makers cutting corners swapping in cheaper materials etc has been impacting parts quality and consistency for all the Auto makers. One batch of parts get made correctly with the designed materials and then the next batch gets some garbage material to bump profit numbers but then we see a batch of cars with weird failures, auto maker figures it out, gets reimbursed by the parts company and faces big image issues crap vehicles, building junk cars etc. Its a big issue for all the Auto makers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online