MSR water filter

Waytec

Adventurer
Hello everyone.
Questions here about a MSR water filter.

I have had this filter for about 5 years and in the last 3 I have never used it. Acutely in the last 3 years I have only gone camping once.
I just pulled it out of the storage tote that I had my entire camping gear in. Camping trip this weekend. :wings:

The porous filter has a reddish color to it and the last I remember it was white. Should I toss it or is this normal? If not what happened to it? I scraped the porous material to see if was on the surface but it is all the way through.

The last time I used it I took it all apart cleaned it and let it dry for several days before reassembling and packing it away but when I pulled it out tonight it had moisture in it and smelled swampy. Cleaned it and is now drying as we speak. Is this from heating a cooling over the last 3 years?

Other then the reddish filter it everything looks very good. Is their anything else I should do as maintenance?

Thank You

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I would not use it.
Going from white to red in color sounds like some sort of growth.

I recommend calling MSR customer service direct and asking them what actions to take. Most likely the element just needs to be replaced.

Just not worth playing with IMO.

Brian

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I'm assuming you have the sweetwater filter? If you freeze the filters in between uses, it helps prolong their effectiveness (I think it limits bacteria growth?). I remember reading somewhere either in the instructions or on backpacking websites that the filters should be used regularly or they stop working over time. I was in your situation (>1 year w/o using filter) and tossed it just to be safe - even if you don't see growth, is it worth risking your health for a $40 filter?

MDH33

Observer
I would replace the element. If there was moisture trapped in there, it could have some funk growing in it.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
It sounds cool though. Post up a photo of the funk. That way we will know when ours is bad. I think I have one somewhere too...

go4aryd

Adventurer
When you "clean" your element, use a VERY mild solution with a touch of clorine in it. It will zap the junk before it can grow. Then you should get significant shelf life from a dried element. I always dye test my 1st need filters before going out, but have previously stored used filters over 5 years when properly cared for, with great results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12