My 03 Z71 Suburban and plans - Also my introduction lol

DavidS

Observer
~3000mi since and coolant level is unchanged. There's anecdotes online of tens of thousands of mi without further leak or repair. I'd used stuff like it long ago, as well as bronzeseal and Alumnaseal, to ok effect on an old mini-truck with an aluminum head. So I wasn't hesitant to use the stuff. And when I found the account of the stuff being used on corvette motors right on the assembly line I said hell with it and did it.

---

Just a shot a couple hours ago today, after jamming 30mi on the freeway in the mid 80F temps -

Subtranstempregload_zpsxptiophp.jpg

that was stopped at the curb at my destination. The red dot on the rim of the trans fl temp gauge is the peak reading indicator for this 'session'. And that's where the needle was sitting after my drive. Call that an unloaded 'cruising' temp.

You have a link to the stuff you used and what is that software thing you're using. I need to invest in something. Been looking at scan gauge II and ultra gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's a $13 android-compatible bluetooth OBDII dongle, sold under the product name Panlong. There's a bunch of simlar units in different names. Mine is translucent blue plastic.
The android app is Torque, free TorqueLite lets you explore and set many gauges off your vehicle data feed. The $5 full version, Torque, lets you add a bunch more gauges by vehicle brand / model and in this case the trans temp data.
I'm using a cheap refurb 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0 Lite, to which I added a 32gb memory card and several mapping / driving apps.

You'll want a 2.1A USB power source. I've found that with my tablet having bluetooth, GPS and wifi enabled (using my iphone as a wifi hotspot), the tablet quickly loses power even plugged into a 1A source.

The app and trans temp gauge pursuit are once again in my first sig link. IT's the closest thing I have to a build topic. One of these days I'll have to do a proper one and pull all the scattered stuff together.

My posts on fabricating a dash mount for the tablet are here - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ablet-GPS-mounts-please?p=2075866#post2075866
It's a simple process, could be adapted to just about any phone or smaller tablet. I've done some ~30mph washboards with no trouble, haven't beat on it harder as of yet. And it has stayed put thru severe SoCal summer heat. I don't leave the tablet mounted unless it's in active use.

I rearrange the other crap once in a while looking for a better arrangement. The dash cam has moved up, sort of behind the left end of the rearview mirror. And that's a double-din Pioneer DVD player etc which I retrofitted into the '02's DIN-and-a-half dash. That's another writeup in itself.

tower%20of%20power_zpsyiojy4uh.jpg

Maybe I better get busy on that build topic. It's to much work fishing up all the old topics / content. Easier ot tie it all together in one place / index of sorts.

DavidS

Observer
Welcome to the boards...sorry I don't get on here as often but since you mentioned dual batteries I have some info on what I used to do mine in my build thread. Feel free to use it as a reference or baseline and go from there...or not..hahaha.

I have the same year and color as yours. Best of luck with all the upgrades. I'm interested in possibly going to coil overs as well, but need to look into a front winch bumper first.

Cheers!

Dual Interstate Batteries (Costco $79.99 each)
Retainer GM Part #14005061 (formerly 356668) - gmpartsgiant.com
Aux Battery Tray GM Part #15246518 - gmpartsgiant.com
Hold Down Bolt GM Part #11509853 - gmpartsgiant.com
Insulator GM Part #10246636 - gmpartsgiant.com
2AWG Welding Cable - amazon.com
Blue Sea Fuse Boxes 5191 - amazon.com
Blue Sea 150A fuses - Western Marine
40A Relays - amazon.com
Stinger SGP32 200A Battery Isolator - amazon.com
Split Loom - amazon.com
Marine grade heat shrink, terminals - amazon.com

Jalorian, sorry I missed you post the last time around. Im not a fan of the tapatalk free app and I can't see the paid version being much better. Anyway thanks for the info on the dual batteries. That is exactly what I want mine to do. Charge both batteries while the engine is running and only discharge the aux battery to run the lights I'll add to the roof rack. Ill be wiring them all for different switches too. Left side, right side, rear and forward. Possibly look at adding a dimmer of some sort for the side and rear lights to help with night vision while setting up camp or something. I like the rear tire carrier but I prefer a full bumper as Ill be using a hitch mounted dual dirt bike carrier. The plan is to add rear air springs/bags to keep the burn level after loading it. Ive considered putting the air compressor where the spare now rides but Im not 100% because I prefer to keep it out of the elements. Maybe a small air tank there and an AUX fuel tank or something. Im new to this so my build/plans will change as I learn of new to me products and learn from you guys. Thanks for the reply! Oh one more thing..How loud are those tires? Ive all but decided on Falken Wildpeak AT3W though.

It's a $13 android-compatible bluetooth OBDII dongle, sold under the product name Panlong. There's a bunch of simlar units in different names. Mine is translucent blue plastic.
The android app is Torque, free TorqueLite lets you explore and set many gauges off your vehicle data feed. The $5 full version, Torque, lets you add a bunch more gauges by vehicle brand / model and in this case the trans temp data.
I'm using a cheap refurb 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0 Lite, to which I added a 32gb memory card and several mapping / driving apps.

You'll want a 2.1A USB power source. I've found that with my tablet having bluetooth, GPS and wifi enabled (using my iphone as a wifi hotspot), the tablet quickly loses power even plugged into a 1A source.

The app and trans temp gauge pursuit are once again in my first sig link. IT's the closest thing I have to a build topic. One of these days I'll have to do a proper one and pull all the scattered stuff together.

My posts on fabricating a dash mount for the tablet are here - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ablet-GPS-mounts-please?p=2075866#post2075866
It's a simple process, could be adapted to just about any phone or smaller tablet. I've done some ~30mph washboards with no trouble, haven't beat on it harder as of yet. And it has stayed put thru severe SoCal summer heat. I don't leave the tablet mounted unless it's in active use.

I rearrange the other crap once in a while looking for a better arrangement. The dash cam has moved up, sort of behind the left end of the rearview mirror. And that's a double-din Pioneer DVD player etc which I retrofitted into the '02's DIN-and-a-half dash. That's another writeup in itself.

tower%20of%20power_zpsyiojy4uh.jpg

Maybe I better get busy on that build topic. It's to much work fishing up all the old topics / content. Easier ot tie it all together in one place / index of sorts.

I have been looking at these most of the day. Literally hundreds of them out there but the dongle seems to be the most used. Such a great idea with the tablet etc too.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Just to add a few experiences.

I got a low coolant idiot light, first time I took my '02 Av (same basic rig as op) off road. Turns out when you fill the tank per the manual, a steep camber can set off the warning. I now overfill just a tad, and have not seen the warning again. And I agree with the others to check your cooling system before assuming you need major upgrades. I have pulled off road trailers on my stock system, and the coolant and tranny temps barely move from town conditions.

I have the Scan Gauge II in my Tacoma work truck, and use the Torque app on my phone, in my Av. All in all between the two, you have the limitations by the software in the Scan Gauge II factory programming v. the on going app development of the Torque app. I prefer the torque app as it covers more features, but has the downside of having to work on your phone, which you might want for other things. Rayra's approach of a dedicated device is certainly optimal. I have used both on both rigs, and even on testing and clearing codes for friends vehicles. Torque is stupid cheap, just be sure to read the reviews on the OBD II dongles, before purchase.

You can read through the thread in our 12 Volt section here, on the dual batteries. That thread is insanely long, but covers a ton of ground. From the easy relay wired to the ignition, to solar. Before spending a lot of money on gizmo's and gadgets, I would heartily recommend reading all of the thread, to get the education. As noted above, all of the vehicles in this era from GM are already set to upgrade to dual batteries, with little effort or expense. Some were set up with the main being driver side left, with 2nd passenger side, against the firwall, or vice versa. Very easy to accomplish.

This part might get me the boot from this forum, but RTT's kinda go unchallenged here, for the most part. If you do not have and use one, you are not one of the cool kids. The same can be said for trailers. If it is not Rubicon capable, they are are of limited interest to many here. Being somewhat new to camping, imho, a RTT might be a waste of money. I've got all my bases covered with ground and wall tents, a truck bed tent, a teardrop style off road trailer and now a somewhat converted cargo trailer. The ground tents are the most flexible, and cost the least. probably the best starting point.

The suspension/tires dollars spent will be the best investment to get you into more remote places, where you can then decide on the best sleeping arrangements, and additional needs and wants.

Craig

DavidS

Observer
Just to add a few experiences.

I got a low coolant idiot light, first time I took my '02 Av (same basic rig as op) off road. Turns out when you fill the tank per the manual, a steep camber can set off the warning. I now overfill just a tad, and have not seen the warning again. And I agree with the others to check your cooling system before assuming you need major upgrades. I have pulled off road trailers on my stock system, and the coolant and tranny temps barely move from town conditions.

I have the Scan Gauge II in my Tacoma work truck, and use the Torque app on my phone, in my Av. All in all between the two, you have the limitations by the software in the Scan Gauge II factory programming v. the on going app development of the Torque app. I prefer the torque app as it covers more features, but has the downside of having to work on your phone, which you might want for other things. Rayra's approach of a dedicated device is certainly optimal. I have used both on both rigs, and even on testing and clearing codes for friends vehicles. Torque is stupid cheap, just be sure to read the reviews on the OBD II dongles, before purchase.

You can read through the thread in our 12 Volt section here, on the dual batteries. That thread is insanely long, but covers a ton of ground. From the easy relay wired to the ignition, to solar. Before spending a lot of money on gizmo's and gadgets, I would heartily recommend reading all of the thread, to get the education. As noted above, all of the vehicles in this era from GM are already set to upgrade to dual batteries, with little effort or expense. Some were set up with the main being driver side left, with 2nd passenger side, against the firwall, or vice versa. Very easy to accomplish.

This part might get me the boot from this forum, but RTT's kinda go unchallenged here, for the most part. If you do not have and use one, you are not one of the cool kids. The same can be said for trailers. If it is not Rubicon capable, they are are of limited interest to many here. Being somewhat new to camping, imho, a RTT might be a waste of money. I've got all my bases covered with ground and wall tents, a truck bed tent, a teardrop style off road trailer and now a somewhat converted cargo trailer. The ground tents are the most flexible, and cost the least. probably the best starting point.

The suspension/tires dollars spent will be the best investment to get you into more remote places, where you can then decide on the best sleeping arrangements, and additional needs and wants.

Craig

I topped it off and Im going to order that stuff if I can ever find it on amazon. Ive decided Im going to use the OBDII port and torque app just like he did. Im not sure Ill use a tab 3 lite or just a phone without service. Im not sure how I'd like a tablet up there all the time. A decent size android phone would be sweet though. Ill be looking for that 12v section and get started reading on it. Electrical projects are the most fun to me. As far as the RTT goes Ive decided against it. After I got to thinking about what he said and talking it over with the Misses the money spent on that would be better spent on gas to drive to yellowstone and two nice quality ground tents. Plus my son and I can just sleep in the suburban on an air mattress. One of my favorite things about the GMT800 Suburban and Tahoe is when the third row is removed the second row folds flat. My 07 was terrible in comparison. IM still saving up the cash for the suspension/tires/bushings etc. Ive also decided to upgrade to GMT900 front brakes. Ill buy an extra 17" wheel to match my Snowflakes. Im tempted to powder coat these gloss black or something. I just can't find any aftermarket wheel I would actually spend money on. The American Racing Mojave wheels would look pretty good too. I have a until the end of August to figure it out though. I love this site. Been looking through the Land Cruiser section too. Just a super cool site.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
David,

Big yup, there is almost too much good information on this site. I try and click on as many threads as time allows, even when the Title may seem unrelated, as you can find real nuggets in almost any long thread. I too dig the electrical stuff, and after my dual battery upgrade, jumped full on into solar. Things get heated a lot in the 12 Volt section, but if you need to know something, you can find it.

Kind of a funny aside. On my first trip on a significant off road part with my new to me '02, I banged the crap out of my running boards. I pulled them off. Last year, I got a bit of lift on the front and back of my rig, and put them back on, as I can now crawl underneath from the side, and having the step does make it easier for shorter folks to get into my rig. Hint, hint, gotta keep the wimmin' folk happy. Your Burb and my Av are not the most capable off road rigs, but if you can tweak a few things, you will still have a very comfy rig. It has taken a couple years of off road use to figure out just where to tweak, to get the most bang for the buck.

The cool thing about the Torque app is that you can customize screens, as to layout and size. A smaller display is not horrible, as you can set it up with the gauges that are critical for what you are doing. Your front seat does not need to be set up like a fighter jet full of gauges, to be functional. Rayra might disagree with me on that, but he is an animal.

The money saved on the RTT can certainly put to better use, especially getting the rest of the tribe comfortable. My ex-wife could put up with just about anything when camping, but she had to wash her hair every morning. I sprung for one of the better portable hot water heaters, and she had easy hot water. 150 bucks, and she was good to go, anywhere, any time. That's part of the fun stuff of camping, working with everyone to figure out where to best spend the money.

The rear seats also fold down in my Av, as well as the mid-gate and back window. With my bed tent, I can get my cot into the bed, and my big mutt gets the entire back seat area. Kinda like a Burb. I camped and hauled out of a Jeep wrangler for 25 years, and do not miss it at all. It surely is no sin to camp comfortably.

Good luck with the rig and trip planning.

Craig

DavidS

Observer
David,

Big yup, there is almost too much good information on this site. I try and click on as many threads as time allows, even when the Title may seem unrelated, as you can find real nuggets in almost any long thread. I too dig the electrical stuff, and after my dual battery upgrade, jumped full on into solar. Things get heated a lot in the 12 Volt section, but if you need to know something, you can find it.

Kind of a funny aside. On my first trip on a significant off road part with my new to me '02, I banged the crap out of my running boards. I pulled them off. Last year, I got a bit of lift on the front and back of my rig, and put them back on, as I can now crawl underneath from the side, and having the step does make it easier for shorter folks to get into my rig. Hint, hint, gotta keep the wimmin' folk happy. Your Burb and my Av are not the most capable off road rigs, but if you can tweak a few things, you will still have a very comfy rig. It has taken a couple years of off road use to figure out just where to tweak, to get the most bang for the buck.

The cool thing about the Torque app is that you can customize screens, as to layout and size. A smaller display is not horrible, as you can set it up with the gauges that are critical for what you are doing. Your front seat does not need to be set up like a fighter jet full of gauges, to be functional. Rayra might disagree with me on that, but he is an animal.

The money saved on the RTT can certainly put to better use, especially getting the rest of the tribe comfortable. My ex-wife could put up with just about anything when camping, but she had to wash her hair every morning. I sprung for one of the better portable hot water heaters, and she had easy hot water. 150 bucks, and she was good to go, anywhere, any time. That's part of the fun stuff of camping, working with everyone to figure out where to best spend the money.

The rear seats also fold down in my Av, as well as the mid-gate and back window. With my bed tent, I can get my cot into the bed, and my big mutt gets the entire back seat area. Kinda like a Burb. I camped and hauled out of a Jeep wrangler for 25 years, and do not miss it at all. It surely is no sin to camp comfortably.

Good luck with the rig and trip planning.

Craig

Thanks Craig. I found the 12v section. Tons of info and threads about anything you want in there. I certainly like land cruisers but I think a Tahoe can be made to be just as capable. They just are rarely used because most tahoe/suburban owners spend their weekends at the soccer fields or outlet malls. I do wish my suburban had those sliding third row windows the series 80 LC has. I don't see myself going solar for a while but its certainly on my radar.

DavidS

Observer
IMG_2210.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg

Came across these for a whopping $800 bucks! Going in to the shop this Friday to get all the suspension bushings replaced and ball joints. Then I'll be adding the atomic coilovers. Still trying to figure out what is going on with my a/c. All actuators have been replaced. I used a meter and checked the voltage as I adjusted the temp and mode. No change in voltage. Grounds all checked out out. I'm buying a hvac control module Friday also

rayra

Expedition Leader
ventilation while sleeping in the back of the Sub. There's over 8' of interior room / length, behind the front seats.

tennesseewj

Observer
ventilation while sleeping in the back of the Sub. There's over 8' of interior room / length, behind the front seats.
Seems inconsistent with his intentions of using a rooftop tent, though...

I'm not familiar with Burbs, are the rear windows completely fixed or do they flip out like the ones on say, an extended cab Silverado?
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Fixed. At least back thru the GMT-400s / 80s models, IIRC. Maybe all the way back, not sure. eta 1964-65

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior