My first trailer build

Dsmskyline

Been lurking on here looking at others builds for a while now.

Finally decided to start on mine.

Our family likes to go camping a couple times a year. Usually we go with others that have a trailer that can haul or tent and other big gear as we only have a mid size car. We have ran into a few instances where we would like to go without having to rely on others to haul or gear. My wife also wants to pick up a couple kayaks for when we go to the lake.

This fueled the research for a trailer. I'm not the type to buy someone else's project and deal with their headaches.

I have not ever built a trailer from scratch but have modified a few for friends and family.

The plan:

I am picking up a harbor freight 4x8 trailer for its axle. For $50 can't beat it. I will be replacing the bearings as soon as I bring it home. The rest of the trailer will be put aside for another project in the future. The 2000# axle and suspension will be sufficient for this project. Once I need to go with a heavier axle, I will put this one back on the red trailer.

The box will be 50"w x 72"l x 32" deep.

With the tailgate down it will allow be to carry a 4x8 should the need arise.

The rear of the box will have stabilizer jacks mounted.

The driver side of the trailer will have a 22" square door that will house a pull out shelf setup for use as a kitchen. It will mainly just have a propane stove for cooking and a prep surface.

There will also be a small 24"w x 18"l x 18"d box on the tongue for future electrical use.

Future plans also include a telescopic rack for mounting a rtt and an awning.

I plan to run a full tongue down the middle of the trailer. This will give me a rear mounted receiver for adding a bike rack if needed.
I will have triangular braces from the middle sides of the trailer and will attach to the tongue under the tongue box.

I fully intend to keep this as a budget build using as many parts I have on hand already. Also want to keep it as light as possible since it will be pulled behind a car for a while.

On to the fun stuff. I toon some 2x2s I had at work and built a rough mock up of the frame.

image.jpg

I had some quality time with the abrasive saw and some 1.25" 1/8" wall tibing j had from a previous project. This was the result.

image.jpg

That shows the frame and sides laid out flat on the ground. Drivers side shows provisions for a slide on table.

image.jpg

This is the main part of the frame laid out. Still need to do some final cutting on the corner braces and the diagonal braces for the tongue need to be cut. What is shown are a couple of the box sides for a rough idea on placement. Final braces will be longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan