My gen 1 SWB

tcb2

So I have lurked here over the years, sounds creepy, I know, anyway finally got around to joining, so thanks for having me. Thought I share my with you my gen 1 swb. Its a 1984 Montero 5spd with LSD, shortly after I got it the oil pump seized as I was tinkering on the weber carb. I rebuilt the 2.6, removed the balance shafts and added a header. While I was at it, I re-built the weber and it got a new clutch when I put it back together.

I sourced a second bouncy for the passenger side and built a 1" body lift for it. I added a leaf to the rear springs and cranked the torsion bars up on the front to fit the 32" tires. I upgraded the front brakes by taking rotors and calipers off a gen 2 to do it. I also swapped in a gen 2 steering gear and idler arm and upper control arms for better geometry and ball joints. It got new tie rods, upper and lower ball joints and shocks all around, Bilstein on the rear and Rancho's on the front.

Last year I made a custom bumper, still have to paint it, for the front with a receiver hitch in the center of it with the thought of being able to move the winch to either the front or rear. I fabbed a second battery tray and wired the Anderson quick wire connects in to hook up the winch in the front, still have to run wire to the rear.

I know I'm forgetting a thing or two, but It's been a fun toy to put around in and significantly cheaper than a side by side that seem to be the rage these days.monty.jpgmonty2.jpg

tcb2

Couple more pics, I upgraded the seats, had both the heater core and radiator cored to take care of any cooling issues. I installed a pressure regulator for the weber since the factory fuel pump was to much. There was no carpet when I got it, thought about finding some, then decided to skip it for now. Any way thanks for looking

1.jpg 2.jpg3.jpg

elirgraves13

Very nice, I have an 85 shorty as well. Great trucks. How was mounting those aftermarket seats? I'm looking to do the same as my seats have been ripped for years.

tcb2

If I remember correctly there are only 4 bolts holding the seats to the frame. It was a easy swap. I should clarify though, all I did was unbolt the factory seats from the frame. I drilled new holes for the news seats and bolted them down.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online