My M-416 Build (1965 Stevens into an Overland Trailer)

Greg_Volkman

Observer
Hello all...

there is a video with all the resto pics and a walk around in my signature.

https://youtu.be/YSO9KAM76RQ

Here is my trailer one of only 2000 M416B1 trailers made for the USMC - been working on it for about 6 years off an on. I did a full strip to bare steel (body off frame), repaint with POR 15 inside/under/bedliner and new paint. I installed 100W solar, with 2 optimas (runs my 1.6cu ft fridge), and welded a rack up for my roof tent. Also did a SOA lift. So far so good! check out the video for a walk around and pics of the resto!

183128_10150102921184675_496395_n.jpg

IMG_8507.jpg

nl91du.jpg

tent.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg

IMG_8505.jpg

Last edited:

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Very nicely done Greg. Loved the video too. I'm jealous as I just canceled my vacation to New Mexico to get my trailer done by the end of the year.
I have a 2 seat Jocassee kayak that the wife and I take with us. She's not a big whitewater fan but loves to float the lakes and lazy rivers with me.
Love the open top Jeeps in that environment.
Best thing about the old Military trailers is they are built to do those trails on the drawing boards.
Two thumbs up.

Greg_Volkman

Observer
Thanks! I got lucky and after looking for a long time found my trailer...it had all the original parts (lights, jerry can mounts, jack stand, parking brake, pintle). The ball mount bolts over the pintle ring. If I wanted (and someone may in the future), the trailer could be fully returned to original. The bolt holes for the rack would have to be welded up, but that's easy.

One of the reasons I built the rack kind of high was so that I could carry my kayak under the tent. I've had two canoes too, but sold them both (may buy another some time). The rack is high enough that a canoe will fit under it. The other reason it is high is because I use the annex for my kid's inflatable beds, this way we can stand up completely under the whole thing. It does okay offroad, but I would probably build a smaller rack for the rubicon...i've just done some little jeep trails so far.

I started kayaking when I was in Jr. High, probably about 25 years ago. I got a whitewater boat because it gives me the option of taking it on the lake or a river, but I spend most of my time on the lake.

Thanks for the kind words!

I am going to do a Roof Top Tent review video soon (I have the tuff stuff 4x4 tent) and also a video showing my solar system running my fridge.

179880_10150102921309675_3890573_n.jpg
image-11.jpg
image-6.jpg
image-25.jpg
IMG_8201.jpg

Greg_Volkman

Observer
Greg! Trailer looks great man! Hope all has been well for ya!

Hey Dave! Small world, ha ha! Good to see you still have the ZJ! All is well (hope it is for you, too). Just living out in Nor Cal and enjoying the mountains here. Still in Colorado?

you have a 416 with RTT too? Build link? Great to see you!

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Hey Dave! Small world, ha ha! Good to see you still have the ZJ! All is well (hope it is for you, too). Just living out in Nor Cal and enjoying the mountains here. Still in Colorado?

you have a 416 with RTT too? Build link? Great to see you!

Yeah we're never leaving Colorado! We got a JKUR to maybe potentially replace the ZJ, but I've had that thing so long I just can't see myself getting rid of it. Cracked one of the heads in Moab a couple months ago and just got done fixing all of that so now I even have more time and money into it lol.

Not sure how many of the pics still work but here's the 416 thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/26576-Big-Dave-s-M416-Build

Greg_Volkman

Observer
awesome! not sure if you are on FB, but I am (off and on, right now on) if you want to add me. My daughter still remembers that cooooollld camping trip we went on years ago.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Done!

And that trip was cold, would've much rather been sleeping in an RTT that night! And I still have never had as much trouble getting a campfire started as we did that night.

Greg_Volkman

Observer
Done!

And that trip was cold, would've much rather been sleeping in an RTT that night! And I still have never had as much trouble getting a campfire started as we did that night.

true story...it rained so much I am sure we would have still needed tarps. I just remember my daughter staying inside the tent - I was happy that the tent stayed dry, but I also remember we hung a lot of tarps in camp. I am surprised we were even able to get the fire started with how wet everything was. Still, it was a great trip and fun that so many people turned up for the next day. I have a bunch of pics somewhere - I will try to find them and post them up.

Greg_Volkman

Observer
Hello everyone! I purchased a Tuff Stuff 4x4 Overland Roof Top Tent and annex about 4 months ago. I have no affiliation with the company and I paid full price, so you'll get an honest review from me. I decided to do an independent review for everyone that is looking for a Roof Top Tent to help them in their research (I know I researched for a long time before I bought one). Please check out my video:

https://youtu.be/8i-_dxnptNE

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12