My "New" Truck

huntsonora

Explorer
The truck is coming along nicely and looks different already. I will post pics tomorrow.

So far I have dont the following:

taken off running boards
taken off grill guard
Changed front and rear differential fluids (Amsoil 75w110 Severe Gear)
Changed fuel filter
Changed Oil and filter (Amsoil 15w40)
Replaced tires and wheels(265/75/16 to 285/70/17)
S&B Cold Air Intake--What a difference that made!

This week I am doing the following

Killer Dowel Pin mod for preventative measures
5th Gear nut for preventative measures
Replace gaskets at transmission and transfer case
Replace Tranny and Transfer ase fluids with Amsoil
Free flow exhaust

So far I have put over 3000 miles on the truck and have not gotten less than 20mpg a tank. All filled to the rim and hand calculated. All in all I am extremely pleased with this truck. I will post pictures tomorrow

handsoff

Which 17s did you go with?

I have a '95 12V and get 17-19 in mixed driving, 20+ must be nice!

Who did you get the KDP kit from?

huntsonora

Explorer
I went with factory Dodge 17 aluminums that came off a 2007 2500. The tires are Cooper Discoverer ATR and I will post all of my MPG data soon. I'll walk outside now and take a couple pictures

huntsonora

Explorer
Here are some before and after pics. Its still a work in progress

dodgephoto.jpg

dodgephoto2.jpg

S&B CAI
photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

New Tires
photo2.jpg

The truck now

With the old BFG's that came with the rims
photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

With the new Coopers
photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

I couldnt be more please so far! The KDP kit is one that my mechanic does himself, he drives a 12 valve as well and is VERY knowlegable. He is only charging me $450 to do it

HS

huntsonora

Explorer
I probably went overboard but that's what I usually do! Killer dowel pin is tabbed, 5th gear nut is upgraded, all seals are replaced from the rear main seal back to the rear diff, all fluids were replaced with amsoil and I went ahead and replaced the clutch while I was in there with a heavy duty clutch. I replaced the fuel filter, put on the Monroe reflex shocks and I had the valves adjusted. This truck should be good for the next 250,000 miles or more.

The cummins just purs now, not that it didn't before but the valve job made a difference for sure.

I have yet to get less than 20mpg and that's city/hwy/ranch roads combined. I need to chase a couple of electrical gremlins in the interior, door locks and passenger window but other than that all weak links have been taken care of and upgraded

HS

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Just an fyi on the coopers.....I love their trailer tires and their car tires....

but we run the atr's on our work trucks (I work for the county)and have not had good luck with them out in the desert's around las vegas, NV.

we run them on f-150's and expeditions and Ive had to replace 7-8 in 2 years due to flats...
since switching over to BFG's I have not had any flats and weve also run the d range bridgestone duellar with good luck.

I run toyos on my personal rigs .

nice find.....I found a 95 reg cab, 4x4 one owner with a cap and 78k miles on it out here last year. but the salesman pissed me off.....(I shoulda bought the truck anyway)

Good luck with your rig. :smiley_drive:

Hey kids, I did a quick google thing and didn't see a simple year by year list re. the KDP issue.

My oldest daughter has a 2006/2007? with the 6-speed.

Should she be concerned with this issue?

Thanks,

KAA

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very neat and congrats. I bought a Ford a couple months ago. I really like it a lot but the 16mpg and the V8 are driving me nuts versus the Cummins I know. I was looking for something identical to what you have but ran into the same problems (too expensive, way too many miles and/or hammered). That, and I needed an extra cab mostly at the request of my wife (and it totally makes). Congrats again, excellent specimen and way to get all that work out of the way. and nice headache rack, I was considering fabbing up something like that for my Ford but also integrate a flat metal lid over the bed for increased mileage and storage. My truck will not be my expedition truck though, mostly just a DDer... I'm also looking strongly at a CNG kit to offset and bring 30-35 mpg with luck out of the diesel. There is a CNG station around the corner here in Utah and it is about a $1 a gallon. 10 gallons (which is a huge tank) alone would save me a lot of $$ and give me significant range I figure.

best,
Andre

huntsonora

Explorer
I will be posting this truck in the classifieds tomorrow. I will kick myself for years for selling this truck as it's just perfect for me. Problem is, it's not just me anymore. A wife and a 4 month old daughter are the most important things in my entire world and a regular cab truck just isn't going to work anymore.

Good thing is that I found a 2003 Dodge 3500 quad cab short box that been meticulously maintained and while it has 178,000 miles on it I am really not concerned. It's clean, it's a great year and it is safe for my entire family

If anybody is looking, or knows anybody that's looking, for a fantastic 12 valve let me know. It's a stock truck with the weak points having already been addressed. I know this truck will last a very long time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior