My nightmare with Callen Campers

Vectorit

Old school 4x4 lover
The camper was purchased in 2001, and there was a 2 week turn around.
24" side radius
Double doors.
1/2 slider side windows
Lined and insulated
Roof vent
Roof rack - powder coated black
Aluminum - all white
Side marker lights.
Clamped to bed, instead of bolts.
Cost 2,225.00
The bed modular system is hand made out of plywood, and the wood box doubles as a step to get in and to work on the engine compartment. It fits into the modular set up in the bed when not used.

donnyh

OP here, just for the record I never got the last $600 of my deposit back from Callen so I got burned for 6 bills.

Access mfg makes the Tradesman in NorCal out of aluminum too and will do overhead or whatever you want! Have seen one in person and looked very nice but you will pay at least $3k. they have lots of examples on their website

BCHauler

Adventurer
If you didn't get ALL of your money back, they didn't make it right. After 18 months, you still didn't have a camper, and the original promise when the deposit was made was 12 WEEKS? That is flat out theft, and stupid business practice on top of it.

I have to say anyone who does business with these folks moving forward is saying that it is okay to do this.

myfoxmystere

Bel Air's wood camper shell supplier

Hi guys! I'm aware this is an old thread, and that there have been problems with Callen Campers, but that's another matter. Just to give you a heads up about who makes the wooden frame campers for Bel Air in Garden Grove, it is USA campers in Montclair California, just outside of Pomona and Ontario. They are the last wooden camper manufacturers in Southern California. I had gone to Bel Air in Garden Grove back in 1995 to find out if I could have a custom shell built for a 1968 Ford F100 I inherited from my uncle when he passed away. They told me they got their custom shells from USA campers, and that they could order one for me. Several other camper dealers told me they got their shells from a place near Ontario, but would not say who the maker was. Then, a place in Norwalk California also mentioned USA shells and gave me the phone number. I eventually got a shell built after working out some of the bugs I had to deal with to make the truck more reliable...I had stalling issues with the carburetor. Whenever I see the wood frame campers on a new truck in Southern California, I recognize it as a USA Camper shell. Snugtop makes the fiberglass shells for BelAir campers whenever you see one with the BelAir name on it. I need to get a new shell built to replace a shell on my 1982 Toyota as well. My late dad and I got the shell built custom when it was new at Playhouse Campers in Stanton. Bel Air referred us to Playhouse back then, because it was the closest custom shop in the area. The owner was past retirement age back then, and built a sturdy camper shell, but the wood finally rotted over the past 5 years, and it's time for a new shell. The owner of Playhouse Campers Bob McKnight died in 1995, leaving USA campers as the last honest custom builder in Southern California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears