my off road trailer build

I decided to build my own off-road trailer. One thing which I do not like about a normal off-road trailer is that it is not used for 90% of the year. We all see them standing around doing nothing for most of the time.

This is an ongoing project. I built the basics now. Each time when we go camping I add something.

So I decided to build a multi purpose trailer.

I can use my trailer as a:

flat bed trailer
Goods trailer
tipper
off-road trailer

hugh

Observer
finally started on the walls plus the roof, its been a couple of weeks, should be more progress
trlr009.jpg

trlr008.jpg

trlr006.jpg

Last edited:

hugh

Observer
a bit more progress, the roof is glued and screwed down, the front and rear walls are roughed in and ready for plywood, the pass side is fully roughed in with some of the plywood on so I can trace the window opening and the rear angle, just waiting for 2 more windows and some hardware to arrive, then the sides will be removed and coated. The electrical has also been started. It will have 12 volt lights inside with a "porch" LED light outside using an Optima style deep cycle battery for power. Also a 110 hookup for those rare civilized campgrounds that will power a battery charger and a couple of outlets.
trailerwalls001.jpg

trailerwalls003.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Good progress...coming together reeaaalll nice!!

Don't forget to incorporate lotza screws and construction adhesive.

Love the design..you'll be camping soon!!

hugh

Observer
a bit more progress, the walls are up, glued and screwed and the window holes are all cut out and framed. Just filling the screw holes and glassing the seams then in a day or two it will resin coated then painted. Here,s a couple of pictures.
trailersides001.jpg

trailersides002.jpg

hugh

Observer
Good progress...coming together reeaaalll nice!!

Don't forget to incorporate lotza screws and construction adhesive.

Love the design..you'll be camping soon!!
So far 2 tubes of glue on just the outside skin and well over 500 1 3/4 screws. It should be pretty rattle free:elkgrin:

jh504

Explorer
That is looking awesome! I am planning on using the same method for a slide-in. Does it seem like the frame will be rigid enough? I was thinking of doing metal angle on the corners instead of framing the inside.

hugh

Observer
The frame is thick walled 2 inch tubing with a bolted down 5/8 inch plywood floor. The walls are 2 x2 studs with 1/4 inch plywood glued and screwed both sides. Also the 1 1/2 pink rigid foam will be glued to the inner and outer walls. So I am fairly confident it will be up to the task. Having said that most of my off -roading is slow, like the pictures where the trailer was being tested before the walls went on. As far as heavy washboard road goes I will just slow down on those also. The only structural worry is any type of impact with a tree or rock, hopefully careful driving :smiley_drive: should minimize that. Plus I usually take my chainsaw along and a machete.

luckyrxc

Observer
axles

+1 on the 3500 lb axles. On a couple utility trailers that I built for hauling motorcycles, I used 3500 lb axls for durability and used lighter springs to gain some 'give'. Works a charm.

Nice build. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

jh504

Explorer
The frame is thick walled 2 inch tubing with a bolted down 5/8 inch plywood floor. The walls are 2 x2 studs with 1/4 inch plywood glued and screwed both sides. Also the 1 1/2 pink rigid foam will be glued to the inner and outer walls. So I am fairly confident it will be up to the task. Having said that most of my off -roading is slow, like the pictures where the trailer was being tested before the walls went on. As far as heavy washboard road goes I will just slow down on those also. The only structural worry is any type of impact with a tree or rock, hopefully careful driving :smiley_drive: should minimize that. Plus I usually take my chainsaw along and a machete.

Nice, good luck with the build, I will be following it closely to see how things turn out.

hugh

Observer
here,s a couple of pictures showing some progress. The paint is interlux 1 part polyuretnane boat paint, so far it has 2 coats, it will get one more then since its so green I think the top 1/3 will be white. The door is installed as of tonight but no pic yet and other than paint I will be starting on the interior tomorrow. When I rolled it out of the garage I thought wow its short but it is 8 feet long inside and with 5 opening windows and one fixed window in the door its actually not bad inside, it will have a 6 foot by 4 foot 10 bed inside that folds up to provide seating for 2 or 4 or 5 in a pinch to play cards and a folding shelf for a stove for coffee plus 12 volt lights with a shore power option.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42131173@N05/3886225674/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42131173@N05/3886225668/in/photostream/

hugh

Observer
Well, for some reason I can,t post pictures, I think my computer is on its way out. But I have been busy with the trailer. It is now painted, and sealed on the outside, some 2 1/2" alum angles cover all the edges. The 5 windows are installed and the door has been fitted. The inside has been fully insulated and 12 volt wiring for the inside lights is finished along with the 5 12 volt lights inside and 1 outside 12 volt led porch light. The 110 is also installed using a marine hookup from the outside which leads to a GFI dual outlet box at the back and a dual outlet up front. I built a folding chair/bed today and hope to install it tomorrow along with a metal cupboard a neighbor gave me. The inside still needs some nice flooring and the walls are unfinished plywood but that will all come. If all goes well I may take it out for an overnighter mid week, the weather here is just starting to turn, should be just below freezing tonight. Great weather for camping.:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online