need advice on purchase

colotaco

Adventurer
O.K.,
You guys and gals out there have never let me down before on anything I've asked, you've always given me sound advice or at least armed me with info to make a sound decision. Here goes, I am looking for a 4runner for my 16 y/o son. I have been watching this on local craigslist, what do you all think?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1063918385.html

it looks fairly clean, had quite a list of new parts, and is the highly desireable 85, but 3k seems kinds steep to me. i noticed it needed soem other repairs to get it right. i dotn know, but seems like a little much to me. jsut my opinion

jake

corax

Explorer
$3k probably isn't too bad since we're talking about a fuel injected solid axle 4wd in CO, but still try to needle him down. It's a jealousy inspiring steal at $2k, and well bought at $2.5k

Applejack

Explorer
It all depends on what similar vehicles are selling for in your area. In my area for example, that's a $4500-5500 rig. Your a good father for not buying it and keeping it for yourself:elkgrin:.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
$3K isn't a bad price considering its the 22RE and solid axle.

It appears to be a nice rig; though I'm curious why the individual is selling it after having work done on it.

Good luck.

juicebox

Adventurer
$3k probably isn't too bad since we're talking about a fuel injected solid axle 4wd in CO, but still try to needle him down. It's a jealousy inspiring steal at $2k, and well bought at $2.5k

That's what I was thinking, but I would say would be 2500 is a jealousy inspiring steal, a great price would be something like 2700, and a decent price would be 3k.

I saw this truck for sale on TTORA a few days ago and the seller is selling it because he bought a built 93 SAS truck.

If I was 16, I would go crazy if I got this 4runner. --> http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126412

:wings: :victory:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Assuming no surprises, someone will grab it at that price. This is Colorado-too many folks know about the special trucks. The body is nicer than most of those vintage trucks you see on the road.

23x,000 miles is high, even for a 22RE. If it was me, I'd either want to be really handy with engine rebuilds, or be prepared to drop a new engine in there at some point in the near future.

laxtoy

Adventurer
man, even if it needs as new engine down the road, it's going to a 16 year old, how much commuting is this kid gonna do, maybe 20 minutes to and from school? i fondly remember my first car, a crappy looking 79 celica that looked to have little life left in it, but it ran until it was towed to the scrapper (i purposely endoed it into a burm on a friends motorcylce track. :yikes: ) i would be full on stoked to get that as a kid, and if it needed an engine down the road, it would be a fun father/son project. i say jump on it.

colotaco

Adventurer
Assuming no surprises, someone will grab it at that price. This is Colorado-too many folks know about the special trucks. The body is nicer than most of those vintage trucks you see on the road.

23x,000 miles is high, even for a 22RE. If it was me, I'd either want to be really handy with engine rebuilds, or be prepared to drop a new engine in there at some point in the near future.

So, my next question would be what do 22re engines go for these days or even a rough estimate of what it would cost to drop an engine in?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
You'll want to upgrade the "rough-country" lift. IMO they make completely garbage components that are attractive because they're CHEAP. Get some OME springs and it'll be a GREAT truck for amoeone just getting behind the wheel. 22RE w/only 237K, SFA, recent maintenance, it all sounds good to me except the suspension.

Cheers

Dave

colotaco

Adventurer
I want to thank you all for the advice, but I waited a touch too long, this baby was sold tonight to another buyer. Well at least I know what to consider for the next one I come across. Thanks again.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Oh well. Colorado is a tough place to get a nice 4x4 - the demand is high, people know what they're looking for, and prices are inflated.

That's why my FJ40 came from Baton Rouge....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12