Need Help Locating Makers of Over the Cab, Pop Up Camper Shells with Double Rear Door

haured

We would appreciate help in locating a model(s) of camper shell that would meet our needs because we have not been able to find one through our own research. We are long time tent campers who use a full size pick up truck and a camper shell to carry all our gear for long trips of several months. We want to continue doing our camping activities such a cooking, relaxing, etc. outside but would like to add a provision for sleeping in the truck in a loft over the cab. Our specific wish list is the following:

1. Pop up that provides a sleeping loft over the cab
2. Shell that would permit retaining the tailgate for a table
3. Double doors to provide full access to gear

While we would prefer a slide-in type shell that would enable storage containers to be stored in the shell in the off season, that is not an absolute requirement. We could continue to use a camper shell in which the floor is the floor of the truck if it made our other requirements.

So far we have found pop ups that only have a single center door. Any help you could give us in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ExpoMike

I don't think I have ever seen a popup camper or shell that has a double door on the back. Closet thing would be a Wilderness camper shell which actually flips the top to the side of the bed (which makes a nice awning) and has the typical tailgate/lift window hatch like a normal shell would.

If you are looking for a Four Wheel Camper type popup with the over the cab bed, I think not having a solid wall in the back would prevent the needed strength to support thing correctly. You might check with Phoenix Campers as they do custom builds and if anyone is likely to be able to, they would. If they can't, I doubt you will find one.

I remember seeing a cabover camper once with double doors in the back so that they could drive a quad into the camper yet still have sleeping quarters . I do not however remember any details like if it was a custom built/modified camper or if it was purchased this way. Maybe I can find the pic.

Cache campers seems to have a model with double doors. Also if you are looking for a new one im sure one of the many fine camper companies out there might be able to make you one like that.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A FlipPac (either the original @ flippac.com or the ruggedized version at Adventure Trailers) would seem meet most of your requirements. They use a traditional swing-up door in conjunction with the tailgate for access to the back - so no double doors, but you do have full access, just like a traditional camper shell.

camper357

Observer
double door camper

Superior RV in Vancouver, WA has made some light-weight double door campers, although they are not pop-ups. They now are making full-size, more traditional campers, but their early offerings were bare bones and might be worth a look.

http://www.panthercampers.com/

haured

Thanks for all your suggestions. They were all possible sources that I did not know of. Now I have some additional places to look. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior